Should USMS be called USMS?

Howdy, Just for kicks and grins, should USMS be United States Masters Swimming. After all, very few of us are "Masters." Synchro has "grand masters" for those adult members who were nationally ranked when they were younger. I like the idea of having a category that separates the elite from the rest of us lap swimmers. But, aside from that, what else could we call ourselves? a) United States Senior Swimming b) United States Adult Senior Swimming c) Adult Senior Swimming Any other ideas?? PW
  • Jim, I concur 100% that USMS and USA Swimming should merge. There are tremendous financial reasons to merge and swimmers around the country make find better opportunities for coached practices. Registration/Membership/times/competition would all become better. Personally, I am not a fan of ALTS. Think it is better left to other organizations. It is just not a big enough market to spend as much time on as we do. I agree it won't happen - mostly because the masters people are unwilling to relinquish control - even if it for their own good.
  • Jim, I concur 100% that USMS and USA Swimming should merge. There are tremendous financial reasons to merge and swimmers around the country make find better opportunities for coached practices. Registration/Membership/times/competition would all become better. Personally, I am not a fan of ALTS. Think it is better left to other organizations. It is just not a big enough market to spend as much time on as we do. I agree it won't happen - mostly because the masters people are unwilling to relinquish control - even if it for their own good. I'm originally from the UK, where, like in most of the rest of the world, masters is subsumed within a governing body that encompasses all of the FINA aquatic sports (swimming, water polo, diving, synchro, masters..). Based on that experience I would never choose to relinquish control of masters swimming to a larger pan-swimming, or pan-aquatics national governing body. The UK governing body regards masters as a nuisance or a way to make money. That attitude is also pervasive at FINA and the other international federations. IMHO, the best way to ensure maximum focus on the interests of masters swimmers (quality competition, quality coaching, etc.) is to retain our independence, as we would inevitably become a low priority or even just an afterthought within a bigger governing body. It would also have the potential to dilute our representation internationally. I suggest that you read this while considering the pros and cons of a merger with USAS. www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../
  • There has been discussion over the years about the term "Masters" confusing or scaring away potential members. If you replace "Masters" with "Adult" the abbreviation become USAS, which can get confused with United States Aquatics Sports, so you'd need to shuffle to "Adult Swimming in United States" ASUS. It might be something that could be discussed at the upcoming 2018 USMS convention as legislation, if the deadlines have not passed to propose changes. I think a number of good points have been made that USMS is better off govern itself than being combine with other swimming governing bodies. We are already affiliated with all the aquatics sports through USAS.
  • I live in the United of States, I am currently a Master Sergeant, I also swim. Therefore USMS fits me fine, and I don’t see a promotion happening either.
  • Back to Jim's point regarding merging with USAS, would a discussion/meeting with USAS be appropriate? I agree the merger could open up more opportunities with regard to meets, and may upset a few "record holders", but would it also require a realignment of rules, regulations, and/or requirements for teams, coaches and meet referees?
  • Back to Jim's point regarding merging with USAS, would a discussion/meeting with USAS be appropriate? I agree the merger could open up more opportunities with regard to meets, and may upset a few "record holders", but would it also require a realignment of rules, regulations, and/or requirements for teams, coaches and meet referees? Our National Office has an open line of communication with USA-S, but the opportunities for working together would likely never extend to the point of merging. USA-S has three stated core objectives: Build the base, Promote the sport, Achieve competitive success. Ultimately, they're focused on winning medals at the Olympics. Although many of us enjoy the competitive aspects of swimming, the majority of USMS members do not compete in pool or OW events. USMS attempts to serve both our fitness and competitive swimmers, so you can see how merging with a purely competitive organization doesn't align with our strategic plan. I still have my USA-S membership and swim in a few meets each year. Anyone can register and most of the meets don't have age restrictions.
  • Our National Office has an open line of communication with USA-S, but the opportunities for working together would likely never extend to the point of merging. USA-S has three stated core objectives: Build the base, Promote the sport, Achieve competitive success. Ultimately, they're focused on winning medals at the Olympics.Well said. If USMS was to merge with USA-S we would probably see: 1) membership fees go up to USA-S levels, 2) USMS.org website and this forum go away, 3) our LMSC's folded under LSC and disbanded, 4) the number of USMS clubs shrink due to USA-S club and coach requirements, 5) more opportunities for open meets but fewer Masters meets.
  • Well said. If USMS was to merge with USA-S we would probably see: 1) membership fees go up to USA-S levels, 2) USMS.org website and this forum go away, 3) our LMSC's folded under LSC and disbanded, 4) the number of USMS clubs shrink due to USA-S club and coach requirements, 5) more opportunities for open meets but fewer Masters meets. I agree. If you wonder what would happen with a merger, look at US cycling. Masters athletes foot the bill and get the crap end of the stick.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I'm happy with the current name since being a Master seems appropriate to my age and ability. :) Some of the other suggestions such as Adult don't work well in my case because anyone who knows me knows it's hard to find any trace of an adult in me. Lastly, having an independent organization seems best. Affiliations and working more closely with other swim organizations seems always to be a good thing but trying to put so many under one umbrella usually ensures some are going to get very wet.
  • I think ,seeing above replies, that USMS should keep on keepin' on as is.