Should USMS be called USMS?

Howdy, Just for kicks and grins, should USMS be United States Masters Swimming. After all, very few of us are "Masters." Synchro has "grand masters" for those adult members who were nationally ranked when they were younger. I like the idea of having a category that separates the elite from the rest of us lap swimmers. But, aside from that, what else could we call ourselves? a) United States Senior Swimming b) United States Adult Senior Swimming c) Adult Senior Swimming Any other ideas?? PW
Parents
  • Back to Jim's point regarding merging with USAS, would a discussion/meeting with USAS be appropriate? I agree the merger could open up more opportunities with regard to meets, and may upset a few "record holders", but would it also require a realignment of rules, regulations, and/or requirements for teams, coaches and meet referees? Our National Office has an open line of communication with USA-S, but the opportunities for working together would likely never extend to the point of merging. USA-S has three stated core objectives: Build the base, Promote the sport, Achieve competitive success. Ultimately, they're focused on winning medals at the Olympics. Although many of us enjoy the competitive aspects of swimming, the majority of USMS members do not compete in pool or OW events. USMS attempts to serve both our fitness and competitive swimmers, so you can see how merging with a purely competitive organization doesn't align with our strategic plan. I still have my USA-S membership and swim in a few meets each year. Anyone can register and most of the meets don't have age restrictions.
  • Back to Jim's point regarding merging with USAS, would a discussion/meeting with USAS be appropriate? I agree the merger could open up more opportunities with regard to meets, and may upset a few "record holders", but would it also require a realignment of rules, regulations, and/or requirements for teams, coaches and meet referees? Our National Office has an open line of communication with USA-S, but the opportunities for working together would likely never extend to the point of merging. USA-S has three stated core objectives: Build the base, Promote the sport, Achieve competitive success. Ultimately, they're focused on winning medals at the Olympics. Although many of us enjoy the competitive aspects of swimming, the majority of USMS members do not compete in pool or OW events. USMS attempts to serve both our fitness and competitive swimmers, so you can see how merging with a purely competitive organization doesn't align with our strategic plan. I still have my USA-S membership and swim in a few meets each year. Anyone can register and most of the meets don't have age restrictions.
Children
No Data