Should USMS be called USMS?

Howdy, Just for kicks and grins, should USMS be United States Masters Swimming. After all, very few of us are "Masters." Synchro has "grand masters" for those adult members who were nationally ranked when they were younger. I like the idea of having a category that separates the elite from the rest of us lap swimmers. But, aside from that, what else could we call ourselves? a) United States Senior Swimming b) United States Adult Senior Swimming c) Adult Senior Swimming Any other ideas?? PW
Parents
  • Jim, I concur 100% that USMS and USA Swimming should merge. There are tremendous financial reasons to merge and swimmers around the country make find better opportunities for coached practices. Registration/Membership/times/competition would all become better. Personally, I am not a fan of ALTS. Think it is better left to other organizations. It is just not a big enough market to spend as much time on as we do. I agree it won't happen - mostly because the masters people are unwilling to relinquish control - even if it for their own good. I'm originally from the UK, where, like in most of the rest of the world, masters is subsumed within a governing body that encompasses all of the FINA aquatic sports (swimming, water polo, diving, synchro, masters..). Based on that experience I would never choose to relinquish control of masters swimming to a larger pan-swimming, or pan-aquatics national governing body. The UK governing body regards masters as a nuisance or a way to make money. That attitude is also pervasive at FINA and the other international federations. IMHO, the best way to ensure maximum focus on the interests of masters swimmers (quality competition, quality coaching, etc.) is to retain our independence, as we would inevitably become a low priority or even just an afterthought within a bigger governing body. It would also have the potential to dilute our representation internationally. I suggest that you read this while considering the pros and cons of a merger with USAS. www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../
  • Jim, I concur 100% that USMS and USA Swimming should merge. There are tremendous financial reasons to merge and swimmers around the country make find better opportunities for coached practices. Registration/Membership/times/competition would all become better. Personally, I am not a fan of ALTS. Think it is better left to other organizations. It is just not a big enough market to spend as much time on as we do. I agree it won't happen - mostly because the masters people are unwilling to relinquish control - even if it for their own good. I'm originally from the UK, where, like in most of the rest of the world, masters is subsumed within a governing body that encompasses all of the FINA aquatic sports (swimming, water polo, diving, synchro, masters..). Based on that experience I would never choose to relinquish control of masters swimming to a larger pan-swimming, or pan-aquatics national governing body. The UK governing body regards masters as a nuisance or a way to make money. That attitude is also pervasive at FINA and the other international federations. IMHO, the best way to ensure maximum focus on the interests of masters swimmers (quality competition, quality coaching, etc.) is to retain our independence, as we would inevitably become a low priority or even just an afterthought within a bigger governing body. It would also have the potential to dilute our representation internationally. I suggest that you read this while considering the pros and cons of a merger with USAS. www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../
Children
No Data