Made a big change, would appreciate feedback

Former Member
Former Member
Just for context, I started swimming five years ago and I'm 42 years old. After a lot of floundering I got down to 1:50 per 100, and I do about 3000 meters a workout. I used to just swim it out, now I'm working on intervals and actually trying to push myself in a semi intelligent way. I am haunted by my kicking problems, inasmuch as they're weaker than my arms and I tend to always move from side to side. I came to the conclusion this morning in my workout that breathing on only one side on every second stroke was forcing me to angle out every stroke and compounded my problems with keeping straight and letting my kicking propel me forward as opposed to side to side. I started working this morning on breathing on alternate sides on every third stroke and while I have to re-train my lungs to accept the breathing differently and get comfortable one goggling the non dominant side, I immediately saw a big change in how I was gliding through the water and felt like I was swimming a bit with a pull buoy. I had back surgery two years ago and for 18 months only swam with a buoy which probably made my problems a lot worse because I wasn't working on my core but was getting stronger with my pull, and wasn't addressing my weak kicking problem and facing up to the challenge of breathing on one side was pulling me a bit askance every stroke. Anyways here's the question for you pros. Am I thinking about this problem right? I tried to post the workout I need today. When I was working half through on breathing side to side I felt I had to go a lot slower to accommodate the new breathing technique and get comfortable with turning to the left, as well. Any feedback would be really helpful. I know it's going to take a long time to put the breathing, catch and kicking pieces back together but I really want to get down into the 1:30's per 100 just for me, and I know without some great kicking I will never ever get there.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Thanks Paul. Sounds like I need to be stronger on the B&A situation. On the stroke count I'm around 26-28. I attached my workout from this morning where I only worked on kicking. No toys. I also spent a lot of time trying breathing only on my non dominant side which is harder but where I keep my head down easier and trading back and forth every 50 and trying to be conscious of my kicks and head position. 11783 The weakness on one side relative to the other side could be due to a number of factors: are you properly aligned, is your pull different on that side, timing of the rotation is either earlier or later, your head in a different position. B & A drill is an advanced drill and to do it well means good body balance, alignment/tight core, rotation, and the ability for the arms and shoulders to move independently from the torso. On another topic - we never asked what your stroke count per length is. Stroke count can tell alot about efficiency and pulling pattern. Caution though, it is possible to have a good stroke count and still snake through the water. Just curious. Paul
  • Former Member
    Thanks Paul, Kari and Calvin. I'm going to try Paul's suggestions, and Kari's drill, and make sure to not scull (I will need fins for sure) to work on the Bow and Arrow drill. Regarding the Bow and Arrow drill...without sculling, one side is much weaker than the other. Is there a way one usually focuses on rectifying that? I think right now I'm going to focus - as I think Kari is right and too many plates spinning means they all fall - on kicking as straight as possible and in a tight pattern and seeing where I get to with that. I will get some video up soon! A lot to read through here but be sure you are NOT sculling with the arm out front during bow and arrow drill. Not sure if someone already mentioned that previously. You drive your legs, tighten your core, and keep good body alignment and head position to keep from sinking. As you pointed out, if you are sinking, the first culprit is probably your legs. I think at the very least if you try that drill you should use a center mount snorkel to ensure proper head position. Fins would be a huge help on that drill as well to help you stabilize things and learn the drill properly. When I coached people who had never done it before, that’s why started with all the equipment (fins and snorkel, sometimes paddles as well) and then gradually dropped pieces as the swimmer became more proficient. I think that you have so many things you can do to get better that you can go in any direction. I only recommended B&A drill as one way you can see how strong your legs are in relation to your body position, and how good your body position is in relation to your stroke.
  • Hmmm - Glad I asked. 26-28 strokes per 50 meters is really low and suggests alot of glide is taking place with each stroke. Video will be interesting. :)
  • Former Member
    Hi Calvin, 50 meters Olympic. 26-28 Long course meters? Short course meters? Or short course yards?
  • Regarding the Bow and Arrow drill...without sculling, one side is much weaker than the other. Is there a way one usually focuses on rectifying that? The weakness on one side relative to the other side could be due to a number of factors: are you properly aligned, is your pull different on that side, timing of the rotation is either earlier or later, your head in a different position. B & A drill is an advanced drill and to do it well means good body balance, alignment/tight core, rotation, and the ability for the arms and shoulders to move independently from the torso. On another topic - we never asked what your stroke count per length is. Stroke count can tell alot about efficiency and pulling pattern. Caution though, it is possible to have a good stroke count and still snake through the water. Just curious. Paul
  • Former Member
    Camera arrives today! looks like I took the mantra of elegant swimming thr wrong way and I need to put my vim in there Hmmm - Glad I asked. 26-28 strokes per 50 meters is really low and suggests alot of glide is taking place with each stroke. Video will be interesting. :)
  • DSG - You seem to be keeping your chin up, looking forward, which keeps your head high. Keep the head neutral, aligned with your back looking at the bottom, and this will relax your neck and upper back. Calvin's insights are spot on as well.
  • Former Member
    Thanks Calvin. Really appreciate the feedback. Just so I'm understanding it: 1. Work on keeping head still and peeking it out to grab some air 2. Left arm recovery needs to keep elbow much higher. 3. Right arm recovery is a problem First quick observations: Your left arm has a low elbow/arm on your recovery (looks sort of like you are "swinging" it, which will also send your body in that direction causing some "snaking") Your right arm is recovering way outside your body underwater. You almost have a ninety degree angle with your upper arm/shoulder and lower arm. I have attached some pictures. 11793 Your head seems to always be moving. Try to keep it still when not breathing (sometimes overlooked fact: you don't really turn your head so much as rotate your body so your mouth just peeks above water to grab a breath. You actually don't even need the whole mouth to exit the water, because there is a natural air pocket/bubble that forms as you move through the water and you can pull air in from it!). I don't see much crossover (maybe a little on your left arm as you finish under your body, but NONE on your right arm (see above analysis of underwater recover).
  • Basically you have a good left arm underwater recovery coupled with a poor above water recovery coupled with a good right arm above water recovery coupled with a poor right arm under water recovery! Definitely some rotating kick one arm up one arm down focusing on head position and ROLLING your body to breathe (as opposed to turning head) would help. Adding SOME swimming with a snorkel (center mount, I recommend FINIS brand, and if you can go back in time get one of the version 1.0 snorkels ) will help you feel your stroke without the head movement but only do this once you can keep your head in the right place! Otherwise you are just training a bad habit!
  • Former Member
    Thank you Redbird. I think I will try to work on the head mostly to start and work Calvin's comments on the arms when I think I can handle it. DSG - You seem to be keeping your chin up, looking forward, which keeps your head high. Keep the head neutral, aligned with your back looking at the bottom, and this will relax your neck and upper back. Calvin's insights are spot on as well.