what to eat before a morning open water swim

Hey Folks, I have an event coming up, and I want to prepare well with my intake of correct food. My race should go off at about 9am, and I want to have energy, but not heavy-ness from eating breakfast. What suggestions do you all have for a great morning 1.5 K swim preparation? Also, and suggestions for the days preceeding the race? Thanks! Gretchen
  • Hi Gretchen. First off, whatever routine you do for practice/training is what you should do on race day as well. The last thing you need on race day is something different than what you/your body is used to. Figure out what works best for you and stick with it. For me, a PB&J or PB and honey sandwich is my go-to. Anything over 5k, and I'll eat 2 about an hour before swimming. Another option is doing a banana with some peanut butter which helps to also reduce the odds of cramps. Drink lots of water. Good luck! - Kari
  • I like granola bars and sometimes cereal on event mornings. The week before stay hydrated. I remember my high school coach telling us to eat steak dinners the week before a big meet...I still like the tradition of beefing up on protein early in the week then switching to more carb based later in the week. The night before eat easy and early. I don't think it needs to be complicated. If you generally eat well, you will be fine. Just stay hydrated and be careful the night before. Agree with flystorms (as usual) don't try anything new. Most importantly, enjoy it!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    How did it go?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Hi Gretchen. First off, whatever routine you do for practice/training is what you should do on race day as well. The last thing you need on race day is something different than what you/your body is used to. Figure out what works best for you and stick with it. For me, a PB&J or PB and honey sandwich is my go-to. Anything over 5k, and I'll eat 2 about an hour before swimming. Another option is doing a banana with some peanut butter which helps to also reduce the odds of cramps. Drink lots of water. Good luck! - Kari I will have an open water race in the morning of this weekend as well, but all my previous trainings are done in the afternoon and/or evening. So at what time and what kind of food should I eat before the race?
  • Again, the PBJs work great for me, but you'll need to figure out what works on your stomach before you do any activity. Maybe do a b'fast/sandwich whatever about 2 hours before the event so it's going through your system, then top off about 30 minutes prior with something small - 1/2 banana or a gel to get the blood pumping.