what to eat before a morning open water swim

Hey Folks, I have an event coming up, and I want to prepare well with my intake of correct food. My race should go off at about 9am, and I want to have energy, but not heavy-ness from eating breakfast. What suggestions do you all have for a great morning 1.5 K swim preparation? Also, and suggestions for the days preceeding the race? Thanks! Gretchen
Parents
  • Hi Gretchen. First off, whatever routine you do for practice/training is what you should do on race day as well. The last thing you need on race day is something different than what you/your body is used to. Figure out what works best for you and stick with it. For me, a PB&J or PB and honey sandwich is my go-to. Anything over 5k, and I'll eat 2 about an hour before swimming. Another option is doing a banana with some peanut butter which helps to also reduce the odds of cramps. Drink lots of water. Good luck! - Kari
  • Hi Gretchen. First off, whatever routine you do for practice/training is what you should do on race day as well. The last thing you need on race day is something different than what you/your body is used to. Figure out what works best for you and stick with it. For me, a PB&J or PB and honey sandwich is my go-to. Anything over 5k, and I'll eat 2 about an hour before swimming. Another option is doing a banana with some peanut butter which helps to also reduce the odds of cramps. Drink lots of water. Good luck! - Kari
Children
No Data