swim Galapagos trip

I am going on a trip in April with a local swim group. bit.ly/swimgalapagos They recommend travel insurance, how do other feel about benefits and costs? Has any one done this trip and have pointers, this is my first (yea) swim trip and I am new to open water.
  • An open water swim tour in the Galapagos is on my bucket list: HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME! I've participated in several guided open water swim tours and am currently a certified guide for UK-based SwimTrek. Most of the tour companies recommend travel insurance, and some require it. In my opinion, the more remote the location, the more I'd recommend travel insurance. You might not use it, but that's a good thing. As far as other tips...just enjoy yourself! There should be a great balance of swimming, relaxing, and sight-seeing. It's been my experience as a guest and as a guide that you can swim as much (or as little) as you'd like. You'll have a great time, I'm sure!
  • Please let us know all about it when you're done. It's on my short list for my 50th bash next year.
  • Please let us know all about it when you're done. It's on my short list for my 50th bash next year. Yes I will, I have swam with this group in the San Fransisco Bay and they are very kind and knowledgeable. I have also met one person who went last year and said it was a great trip she would do again.
  • As far as INS. Please check, in detail, exactly whet it does & does not cover!!! We had to cancel a 5 person family vacation to Africa due to our daughter's pregnancy, She could not receive the shots and was not allowed to go. The INS. would not cover this as a reason to allow us to cancel with repayment or postponing the trip date!!!
  • Thanks, I read the details of a couple, and it is very complicated. I think I will not get it.
  • I sure hope Alex Trebeck calls me to go on his Galapagos trip.
  • Napa, how was the trip? Worth it?
  • I am going on a trip in April with a local swim group. bit.ly/swimgalapagos They recommend travel insurance, how do other feel about benefits and costs? Has any one done this trip and have pointers, this is my first (yea) swim trip and I am new to open water. Hi Napa, how was your swim trip in the Galapagos? I've been researching travel to the Galapagos and am not sure what the best way is to do it without the costs being out of control. I'm not sure if I should go on a "swim vacation" there which is land-based but will allow lots of chances for swimming and snorkeling, or go on a cruise where there will be less opportunities to swim and snorkel but maybe see more of the different islands. I'm curious to hear about your experience and anything you may recommend.
  • KC, you should look into SwimTrek. I went on one of their adventures last year to the Maldives and they put on a very well run trip.