2017 USMS OW championships

Hey Peeps - who out there has done any of these races in the past? Any tips? Anything you love/didn't like about these races and/or locations? 2017 U.S. Masters Swimming Open Water National Championships 6-9 Mile OW Nationals (7 miles) Swim Around Lido Key, Sarasota, Florida, April 22, 2017 9+ Mile OW Nationals (10 miles) Chattanooga, Tennessee, June 3, 2017 1-3 Mile OW Nationals (2.4 miles) Chattanooga, Tennessee, June 4, 2017 2-Mile Cable OW Nationals Foster Lake, Oregon, June 24, 2017 3-6 Mile OW Nationals (5K) Elk Lake, Oregon, July 30, 2017 1-Mile OW Nationals Angle Lake, Washington, September 23, 2017
  • I've swum one of the courses in Chattanooga. If they race it as I believe they will, the 2.4 mile course will swim downstream and finish in the center of Chattanooga. I've done a 4.5 mile race there twice, and the 2.4 mile course is the last half of that. They run a well-organized race usually with a check-in available the evening before the swim. There is transportation to the starting line and a bag drop off there so you can retrieve your items at the finish line. There is a wide variety of places to stay and some wonderful restaurants within walking distance of race finish for a beer and brunch. It's a downstream swim, but the current varies wildly. Swum on the Tennessee River, the current speed depends on whether or not the TVA has opened dams upstream or not, and these events are not forecast so you won't know what sort of current you'll have until about 12 hours before the race. The first year I swam, the current was near negligible. In 2015, I swam it in about an hour and a half which is closer to my 3.5 mile pace. The water is warmer than I care for, but then it looks like you swim in Texas so it may be cooler than what you do. I presume the 10-mile race will be on the Swim the Suck course. I've not swum that course, but have always wanted to. I'm definitely considering adding this to my calendar.
  • Hey Peeps - who out there has done any of these races in the past? Any tips? Anything you love/didn't like about these races and/or locations? 3-6 Mile OW Nationals (5K) Elk Lake, Oregon, July 30, 2017 I swam in Elk Lake in 2011, doing the 3K race as part of the great Cascade Lake swim series. I'd highly recommend this, particularly as you can get more for your swim-travel buck by grabbing up to 5 races over the weekend - www.comaswim.org/.../about.htm. In addition, Bend, Oregon was a GREAT town for a summer vacation. The only thing you gotta wrap your head around is not getting too freaked out about the water temperature when you see the snow in the background - forums.usms.org/attachment.php
  • Ohh, good info from both of you, thanks. David, let's keep in touch and if you do Chattanooga, it'd be great to meet. Same for you, Patrick. I feel like old friends already. :) So far, Chattanooga is on the radar, as is the Swim around Lido Key. The cold water of Oregon really scares me. I was looking at the temps yesterday and while the races sound like a lot of fast fun, I'd die from hypothermia. LOL! I get cold in our 80 degree pool, even with the bioprene I carry. :) Definitely more of a warm water racer. I'm definitely looking forward to trying to race at a higher level next year to see how I stack up. Should be fun.
  • 1-Mile OW Nationals Angle Lake, Washington, September 23, 2017 I've still not swum this event, but I can tell you the lake is within one mile of SeaTac airport. You could actually walk there from the airport or just go one stop south on light rail. Very easy to stay nearby since all the airport hotels are right there. It would certainly be an easy event to fly in for!
  • Ohh, good info from both of you, thanks. David, let's keep in touch and if you do Chattanooga, it'd be great to meet. Same for you, Patrick. I feel like old friends already. :) So far, Chattanooga is on the radar, as is the Swim around Lido Key. The cold water of Oregon really scares me. I was looking at the temps yesterday and while the races sound like a lot of fast fun, I'd die from hypothermia. LOL! I get cold in our 80 degree pool, even with the bioprene I carry. :) Definitely more of a warm water racer. I'm definitely looking forward to trying to race at a higher level next year to see how I stack up. Should be fun. Will do. Now to decide whether I eye the 2.4 mile or the 10 mile.