Highland Lakes Challenge (Austin Area)

Is anyone else planning to do the Highland Lakes Challenge (or parts of it)? www.highlandlakeschallenge.com/ I'm signed up for the Weekender Monster, the last 3 days: Marble Falls, LBJ, and Travis. Distances are only 2.2 and 3 to 3.5 miles. Has anyone done this in the past and have any words of wisdom to share?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I've done this event the last 4 years. Assuming you are comfortable with open water swimming, this is a very chill event with a comfy homey feel. They are pretty firm that this is a no contact no drafting race. Folks come from all over the USA to do this event. Typically after each swim a group heads to a local diner. You can cash in your pie slice coupon there!! Assume weather wise that the race is on each day. They will modify the course if necessary with weather but we've swim in wind and rain(which I love). This is local for me and has been the goal event as I've worked toward more speed and more distance.
  • I signed up for Monster all five days! I am pretty stoked this has been on my bucket list for several years.
  • Oh please let us know how it goes!
  • Former Member
    wow.. I would like to go, but cant.. waiting for your review about it
  • I did the swim today, posted about it on my USMS blog here: forums.usms.org/entry.php
  • Here's my notes on Saturday: forums.usms.org/entry.php And Sunday: forums.usms.org/entry.php Overall this is a really great event and I'm glad I had the opportunity to participate. Weather was great (air temps a bit chilly at the start), water temps about perfect, in the mid/upper 70s. It is a little rough swimming o/w 3 days in a row in events like this (I've done some lake swims solo 3 days in a row and swim in the pool usually M-F). But the distances I did were all very manageable, 2.2 miles, then the last 2 about 5k. And I did get the chance to meet swimdaily :) We actually sat next to each other on the boat to the start for the Lake Travis swim. Maybe next year I'll do the first 2 days also :afraid: I highly recommend this event. Feel free to post here with any questions, or send me a PM.
  • Former Member
    It was good meeting Tim and Dori. Plus Tim and I both were wearing our USMS 500 mile suits👍👍I love this event..