Winter water temp Lake Michigan

Former Member
Former Member
According to Jeff Masters blog on Weather underground site, Lake Michigan is 2 to 3 degrees warmer and is approaching record low levels.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    dipped in a few weeks ago and it was 35ish, which is probably warmer than usual for this time....there's no ice cover where there usually is, although that could be because of the wind. The water levels are DEFINITELY much lower than usual and have been all last year. I'd say 2 feet lower than usual. It's really weird. I hope we get a heap of snow.
  • Former Member
    What do you mean by "dipped in"? :)
  • Former Member
    What do you mean by "dipped in"? :) it's an immersion so short it can be done with one's breath held, and no strokes are taken....
  • could you please elaborate as to why you would do this, inquiring minds want to know :D I believe the record is 42 consecutive months, including hacking through the ice. WRT water level, snoozily I heard on NPR that Lake Michigan (measured where?) is now 2 inches below lowest previous recorded level, and even with average to above-average precipitation going forward (unlikely), it would take years to achieve a normal level. The cost of steel things is going up: the big vessels headed to Indiana steel-making ports have to reduce their draft by 2.5 feet, which means they can't carry as much ore. They are paid for the equivalent of a 7th trip they don't make. Asian carp continue their northward march.
  • Former Member
    could you please elaborate as to why you would do this, inquiring minds want to know :D
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    it's an immersion so short it can be done with one's breath held, and no strokes are taken.... I refer to it as a "baptism." When I was at my hardiest (i.e. "total jackass"), I tried to go to the lake in Chicago on some kind of blizzard-like evening, but the police were there preventing people from going on the beach. They mentioned something about an earlier suicide attempt. I refrained from telling them I hoped to go swimming.