New 5-Mile Swim in Richmond, VA

"To the Bridge & Back" is a new open water swim in Richmond, VA. It's late in the year - October 13, 2012- so it gives you plenty of time to prepare and doesn't conflict with most of the major swims out there. Entry fees are low, especially if you register with your own kayaker. All of the details can be found at www.PelusoOpenWater.com
  • The first half the swim will be against the current. The ride home will be enjoyable though. The James River can be unpredictable. That said we expect high 70's for water temp. As we get closer, obviously, we will have better idea. It really will depend on the type of summer/fall we have. Mid-October in the James is an awesome time of year.
  • What kind of current can be expected for this swim? I assume half is with the current and half against, or am I wrong? Looks interesting.
  • The first half the swim will be against the current. The ride home will be enjoyable though. The James River can be unpredictable. That said we expect high 70's for water temp. As we get closer, obviously, we will have better idea. It really will depend on the type of summer/fall we have. Mid-October in the James is an awesome time of year.I really hope my kids' fall break aligns with this so I can bring one or more of them out to my old hometown, do the race, see my parents, and make fun of Geek.
  • I really hope my kids' fall break aligns with this so I can bring one or more of them out to my old hometown, do the race, see my parents, and make fun of Geek. You apparently can do that from the comfort of your own home with the invention of these interwebs.
  • You apparently can do that from the comfort of your own home with the invention of these interwebs.Yeah ... any chance you'll trek up to Richmond for this? I know it's a long way off.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Sounds pretty interesting ! James can have quite different conditions, especially depending on recent rainfall in the area ! Have to follow up on this !!
  • Former Member
    looks like great fun and fall on the james river could be a super swim.
  • Former Member
    I was also curious about expected water temp. I couldn't find data for that date. It looks like late October was around 64. Is mid to upper 60's about right? Thanks
  • Whatever you do, don't let a triathlete beat you then. Some of them are actually pretty good. Others....well, that's why we created the company.
  • I've done this as a training swim, most recently a couple springs ago. I think water temp in the fall should be fine. The current is usually not a problem but it can be brutal; once it took me 4-5 times longer to reach the bridge than it did to come back. After you turn the bend you think the bridge is only 10-20 minutes away and you pick it up...an hour later you're still swimming towards that darn bridge... Of course, in such circumstances there is always the entertainment value: I've seen some of the weaker swimmers -- aka triathletes (sorry, Jay :)) -- actually go backwards when swimming against the current. Assuming it doesn't conflict with anything, I'll be there. It will be fun.