Does cycling help swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
Does the way the muscles are used in cycling help with swimming? I feel it does. When pedaling the bike it makes me think of kicking in freestyle, especially 2 beat kicks (of course I don't mean I kick the way I pedal a bike).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I haven't noticed a direct correlation. In fact, I was concerned about the opposite. I've been riding hard on weekends, swimming during the week. I don't see any benefit. And as my thighs get bigger, I'm going to have to work to keep my hips up.
  • Former Member
    Correction: I think the reason I felt some connection is not how the muscles are used (they are not used the same way, though maybe a little close in breaststroke, since freestyle uses flutter kicks?), but in relation to the rhythm.
  • I think cycling definitely helps breaststroke kick.
  • I'd rate cycling well above running Chris, Why? What kind of running?
  • If you do alot of crits and like to ride up front it probably will help as conditioning.
  • swimming helps swimming, cycling helps cycling, running helps running........
  • "Does cycling help swimming?" If you compare cycling to doing nothing, then certainly. I don't buy any of this stuff about increasing muscle mass harming you; I hear the same knock against weight-lifting. Cycling hits many of the same muscles that are used in kicking; if you doubt that, go for a hard ride and then jump in the pool and try to do a hard kick set. And of course there is general CV conditioning. If you compare cycling to spending that same time doing swimming, then I'd probably give a qualified no. I say "qualified" because I think many swimmers don't work their legs as hard in practice as they should to prepare for their races. But many -- most? -- masters swimmers don't want to do just swimming for their exercise. As cross-training activities go, I'd rate cycling well above running but below weight-lifting. Just my $0.02. Oh, and I agree with the post about cycling potentially harming flexibility, particularly the hams and lower back. I need to do more stretching (or at least be diligent in making sure I do a minimum amount) to maintain my usual ROM if I am cycling regularly.
  • Former Member
    swimming helps swimming, cycling helps cycling, running helps running........ Small increases in muscle density in the lower body, especially for men, increase drag which in turn significantly push up the energy cost of swimming. Your time would be better spent working on stroke technique than ride a bike for swimming.
  • Former Member
    Good rythm and strong muscles, I would think would be a benefit in any sport. Im thinking cycling may help in adding the awareness of what ones legs are doing in cycling vs. swimming. Body awareness is always a benefit too. Personally, I did a lot of cycling and speed skating in my 20's, so I have really strong legs, however, my flutter kick is not very efficient - (Lack of) foot size and lower body flexibility really work against me. Like, having strong, and not very floppy easily hperextended ankles was a huge benefit in speed skating. I haven't done a lot mixing of cycling and swimming in recent years. Few years when I did, I noticed that cycling was not helping my flexibility, if anything, it would tighten me up.