Does cycling help swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
Does the way the muscles are used in cycling help with swimming? I feel it does. When pedaling the bike it makes me think of kicking in freestyle, especially 2 beat kicks (of course I don't mean I kick the way I pedal a bike).
Parents
  • "Does cycling help swimming?" If you compare cycling to doing nothing, then certainly. I don't buy any of this stuff about increasing muscle mass harming you; I hear the same knock against weight-lifting. Cycling hits many of the same muscles that are used in kicking; if you doubt that, go for a hard ride and then jump in the pool and try to do a hard kick set. And of course there is general CV conditioning. If you compare cycling to spending that same time doing swimming, then I'd probably give a qualified no. I say "qualified" because I think many swimmers don't work their legs as hard in practice as they should to prepare for their races. But many -- most? -- masters swimmers don't want to do just swimming for their exercise. As cross-training activities go, I'd rate cycling well above running but below weight-lifting. Just my $0.02. Oh, and I agree with the post about cycling potentially harming flexibility, particularly the hams and lower back. I need to do more stretching (or at least be diligent in making sure I do a minimum amount) to maintain my usual ROM if I am cycling regularly.
  • "Does cycling help swimming?" If you compare cycling to doing nothing, then certainly. I don't buy any of this stuff about increasing muscle mass harming you; I hear the same knock against weight-lifting. Cycling hits many of the same muscles that are used in kicking; if you doubt that, go for a hard ride and then jump in the pool and try to do a hard kick set. And of course there is general CV conditioning. If you compare cycling to spending that same time doing swimming, then I'd probably give a qualified no. I say "qualified" because I think many swimmers don't work their legs as hard in practice as they should to prepare for their races. But many -- most? -- masters swimmers don't want to do just swimming for their exercise. As cross-training activities go, I'd rate cycling well above running but below weight-lifting. Just my $0.02. Oh, and I agree with the post about cycling potentially harming flexibility, particularly the hams and lower back. I need to do more stretching (or at least be diligent in making sure I do a minimum amount) to maintain my usual ROM if I am cycling regularly.
Children
No Data