Does cycling help swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
Does the way the muscles are used in cycling help with swimming? I feel it does. When pedaling the bike it makes me think of kicking in freestyle, especially 2 beat kicks (of course I don't mean I kick the way I pedal a bike).
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Good rythm and strong muscles, I would think would be a benefit in any sport. Im thinking cycling may help in adding the awareness of what ones legs are doing in cycling vs. swimming. Body awareness is always a benefit too. Personally, I did a lot of cycling and speed skating in my 20's, so I have really strong legs, however, my flutter kick is not very efficient - (Lack of) foot size and lower body flexibility really work against me. Like, having strong, and not very floppy easily hperextended ankles was a huge benefit in speed skating. I haven't done a lot mixing of cycling and swimming in recent years. Few years when I did, I noticed that cycling was not helping my flexibility, if anything, it would tighten me up.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Good rythm and strong muscles, I would think would be a benefit in any sport. Im thinking cycling may help in adding the awareness of what ones legs are doing in cycling vs. swimming. Body awareness is always a benefit too. Personally, I did a lot of cycling and speed skating in my 20's, so I have really strong legs, however, my flutter kick is not very efficient - (Lack of) foot size and lower body flexibility really work against me. Like, having strong, and not very floppy easily hperextended ankles was a huge benefit in speed skating. I haven't done a lot mixing of cycling and swimming in recent years. Few years when I did, I noticed that cycling was not helping my flexibility, if anything, it would tighten me up.
Children
No Data