Where do you swim (open water, outdoor pool, indoor pool...)

Former Member
Former Member
I suppose most will say indoor pool and few (lucky ones) swim in the ocean all the time, but it would be interesting to see the numbers :) Thanks for taking the poll! Edit: If you swim in lakes, please choose the second option, which is meant to be "Open water--river or lake, pond,... any open water that is not the ocean". "Other" includes bathtubs :D
  • I'm in Maine, so for most of the year the indoor pool is the only option. But in the summer, I'll swim in a local lake, race in the ocean, and workout in our only outdoor (and semi-heated) pool.
  • My favorite type of pool to swim in is a nice outdoor 50m pool on a beautiful summer day :) But unfortunately I usually swim indoors....
  • I almost always swim in an indoor pool because that's the only option around here for 9 months of the year WHen I was in high school I swam on an AAU team here in Worcester that practiced in a lake course - two docks 50 meters apart with lane lines running between. It was great! Mirror Lake in Lake Placid, NY used to have a similar set-up...I wonder if they still do. I loved those lake courses. When I lived on Cape COd the best swim was to hop in the water at one beach and swim along the shore to the next beach (or town) then turn around and swim back. AHHHHHH Cape Cod Bay. When my kids were little I'd set them up with a picnic blanket and some stuff to do and I'd go swim in a Creek and do kind of a "treadmill swim" against the current for a nice no-babysitter-needed workout! But now it's the Y in the winter or one of the UNHEATED outdoor city or state pools in the summer - but an outdoor swim is always the best
  • After two weeks in Hawaii I can't wait for the Centennial Park pool in Wilmette, IL to open for the summer... :bouncing:
  • I would rather do OW lake or outdoor pool, but my schedule and budget make indoor swimming my most frequent.
  • Last summer was the first summer in 11 years that I was able to do alot of LCM training. When I was training alot of 2004, I was only able to do Sunday LCM swimming. It was really fun to train LCM every morning last summer. I can't wait for this summer. We usually train at the Martin's Dam Swim Club in Wayne, PA(5 minutes from the King of Prussia Mall). I also do some LCM training at the Upper Main Line Y in Berwyn, PA. The pool is actually an above ground long course pool. It is good to train on because it is 50 meters but awful for meets. Winter is at the Ridley YMCA or Villanova.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    left out... open water lake
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    left out... open water lake Sorry, I would make the second option "River or Lake". :D
  • Indoors, even during the few nice months... ...there is a shortage of outdoor locales left, what with most public pools being converted to splash-pools with no "lanes".
  • "Other" includes bathtubs :D Must be Dolphin 2's training location. :cool: