Where do you swim (open water, outdoor pool, indoor pool...)

Former Member
Former Member
I suppose most will say indoor pool and few (lucky ones) swim in the ocean all the time, but it would be interesting to see the numbers :) Thanks for taking the poll! Edit: If you swim in lakes, please choose the second option, which is meant to be "Open water--river or lake, pond,... any open water that is not the ocean". "Other" includes bathtubs :D
  • Indoor all winter . a little in summer getting ready for team triathlons.
  • Both indoor and outdoor. October through April I swim in an indoor 25 yard pool. May through September in the outdoor 25 meter pool.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    For SCY, our team practices at the rec center or at Southwestern University. LCM we practice at a city outdoor pool. This is what I am gathering is the favorite time of year to swim for all those people who live up north. In Austin, it is almost too hot to be outside and swimming outdoors becomes less fun. The water temps rise up to 88-91 in a 6 ft deep pool. I would much rather swim indoors. I don't do any ow swims unless I am at the beach for vacation. :cool:
  • When I was in Age Group/HS/College in MN, all of my training (except summer) was indoor 25Y pools. There was a YMCA that had an outdoor 50M pool we used during the summer for morning workouts. In AZ, all of my training is outdoors. There is nothing better, even during the winter months swimming outside is SO much better than being inside. The only times I have swum inside is when I have been at NAU (Flagstaff, AZ) for meets.
  • I swim in a 25m indoor pool 9 months a year and in a lake in the middle of the city (town) for 3 months. we don't have a 50m pool with in 30 miles, but I am hoping to get some 50m training next summer.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Well, looks like those living near the ocean are too happy to turn on their computers and visit this forum :rolleyes:
  • Indoor "pool"? Are there other "indoor" options? Indoor ocean and indoor river. Dan
  • Living in FL, I get to swim outside year-round. We'll get a few chilly mornings in the mid-to-high 30's during January and February; It's great getting in, but a mad dash for your towel or locker room when getting out. When I was still doing triathlons, I'd also swim in the Gulf of Mexico once a week with my triathlon club, though wet suits were usually required from November through April. Mark
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Indoor pool at a college. Right now my wife is a student there so I swim for free. When she graduates in April I will be paying about $50 a month to use the pool. Since swimming has alleviated the pain I get from a congenital back problem, and surgery has been discussed, it will be worth the price.
  • Mostly outdoor 50 meter pool. On the occasional very cold day, I may swim indoors, but that is only a few times per winter.