Swimming on your Period?

Former Member
Former Member
I just became the coach of my first swim team, and I, being a male, am having a hard time with the whole period thing. My girls are middle school level, and a little shy about the subject, as am I. Now, I know that you can swim on your period by using a tampon, but they cringed at the idea. However, on a 20 girl team, I've got as many as 6-7 girls sitting out daily because of it. I know that's far FAR too high. I'm about this close to going out and buying a box of tampons to shove in their face if they don't dress. So my questions are: How necessary is it that you wear a tampon? Is it an every day thing? are there times when it's worse than others? And, how can I easily make the lives of the swimmers who don't swim (and keep in mind it has to be for a group of 6-7 people) a living hell. I need a dry land work out that can be done on the pool deck that takes little effort to watch (so I can coach the other girls) and something they can't really slack off - I keep giving them push ups and they barely go down. I really can't think of anything outside of making the actual swim session fun, so if you guys have ideas on how to do that too it might work, too. It need to work on something important though.
  • I am amazed, and frankly skeptical, that these girls would tell you that they are sitting out because of their periods. Adult women don't seem to be so embarrassed to mention their periods but I cannot imagine a 13-year-old girl telling her male coach anything about it. When I was a 13-year-old swimmer my teammates and I never even talked about our periods (or lack thereof) among ourselves, much less with our male coach. Also, the conventional wisdom about a "period" lasting a week is bunk. Most teens bleed significantly for a day or two or maybe three, and then the flow tapers off quite substantially. Even if I could believe a kid needed to skip practice one or two days because of heavy menstrual flow, or cramps, a week is ridiculous. If the kid is really bleeding significantly for a week she needs to see a doctor. I am with those who can imagine no reason these girls need to skip practice because of menstruation. I concur with Fort's recommendation to make sure their parents know they are skipping, and know the stated reason. Then make your own attendance policy clear, and the same for boys and girls, and enforce it. These girls are going to be menstruating ten to thirteen times a year for the next 40 years, excluding pregnancies; might as well figure out now how to keep it from interfering with the rest of their lives. Agreed! I am sure, as Anita points out, that there could be a very small percentage of girls who cannot wear tampons. Obviously, the coach cannot instruct them to. However, likewise, a coach has the right to demand that there are not 6-7 girls on a 20 person team sitting on deck during practice. That is flat out absurd. Most coaches in every sport, whether it's swimming or little league or whatever, are pretty adamant about getting to practice on time and actually practicing. If a girl absolutely cannot swim because of the curse, she should not attend practice. It's hard to imagine a team practicing effectively with a revolving circle of swimmers on deck. I have a middle school girl who is a swimmer, as was I. I have NEVER seen girls sitting out on deck at practice unless there was a problem with asthma. Nor has my daughter ever reported such phenomena to me -- and she definitely would be pissed off by it! So, obviously, this is not a problem for the vast majority of middle school girls. If they have tampon fear, as I said before, they might need a little more maternal supervision, including explanation and demonstration of the use of tampons. Sheesh. And, if it's an issue at practice, the coach should let them have bathroom breaks. I know my kid's team hits the locker room, for example, between swimming and drylands. Also, my understanding, from parents and girls, is that the curse is not terribly disabling at that age for most. I haven't heard it is heavy. To the contrary, most endurance athletes get a fairly light period and sometimes miss it. I know my daughter says it's "no big deal" and "no one thinks it's a big deal." I can't recall ever thinking or worrying about it when I was young. I'm only saying most, not all! Now, I can't stand it.
  • Without going into details I will just say (vehemently): Not for everyone. Absolutely agree. Has sidelined me faster than a stress fracture in the femoral neck (hip) did. A stress fracture in the hip is pretty painful. It just sounds like there needs to be some communication with the parents about the issue. Some may be using it as an excuse but others may have moms that just don't encourage the use of tampons. As a former age-group coach, I observed that this was not uncommon. And yes, some girls are really wigged out by using tampons and since it is a control thing, they have to become comfortable on their own with it.
  • Absolutely agree. Has sidelined me faster than a stress fracture in the femoral neck (hip) did. A stress fracture in the hip is pretty painful. It just sounds like there needs to be some communication with the parents about the issue. Some may be using it as an excuse but others may have moms that just don't encourage the use of tampons. As a former age-group coach, I observed that this was not uncommon. And yes, some girls are really wigged out by using tampons and since it is a control thing, they have to become comfortable on their own with it. Which is why the coach has to make sure the parents are aware of the situation. Put the ball in their court. The curse nowadays, at age 42, is TRULY a curse. It actually does sideline me sometimes. But never as a kid. It was potentially embarrassing, sure, but I would not have needed to sit out for multiple practices with my buddies! You might have one or two girls with true heavy bleeding issues (though it's hard for me to imagine) but I think that's relatively rare. Having been an age-group coach, the only time I can remember a girl ever having to miss practice for her period--her mom didn't bring her to practice for a day. How about making the girls have a note from their parents to sit out? Think that might solve your problem right there. At least you'd know the ones sitting out had a legit reason and parental approval.
  • Rereading the first post, I think there is a reason I'm so skeptical: However, on a 20 girl team, I've got as many as 6-7 girls sitting out daily because of it. I know that's far FAR too high The numbers are WAY off. If you truly have 6-7 girls sitting out every day then they are yankin' your chain. They should only be menstruating once (3 days worth worrying about) every 28 days for Pets's sake! Unless they are coordinating their cycles perfectly, you should never have that many out at a time. REQUIRE a note from Mom stating that they can't swim. I'd bet money that will take care of the slackers.
  • If you truly have 6-7 girls sitting out every day then they are yankin' your chain. They should only be menstruating once (3 days worth worrying about) every 28 days for Pets's sake! Unless they are coordinating their cycles perfectly, you should never have that many out at a time. REQUIRE a note from Mom stating that they can't swim. I'd bet money that will take care of the slackers. Stats geek that I am...IF each girls' period is truly independent of the others' (can't they be synchronized? I've heard that happens) then there is only a 2% chance that you could have 6 or more girls sitting out on a 20-person team. I'm assuming the 3-day duration is correct and that everyone who has a period elects to skip practice, meaning you should average just over 2 skips a day. (Can you tell I'm bored with grading? :))
  • This thread borders on T.M.I. Shouldn't this be discussed in the Women's Locker Room? AJ Spoken like a true menstuation-phobic male. You might like to fantasize otherwise, but if women didn't have periods you wouldn't exist:rolleyes:!
  • This thread borders on T.M.I. Shouldn't this be discussed in the Women's Locker Room? AJ I thought Aqua Jock was "ready to shock" ... If guys had the curse, there'd be a lot more sitting out and whining. You have no idea ... (Ha! I see Amy had the same thought.)
  • There are only two things that men try to avoid discussing more than this topic - a vasectomy or colonoscopy. I suspect these teen girls have already realized they have hit the weak point for the coach and are cashing in on the uncomfortable nature of this topic with men. As Barney Fife might say "nip it in the bud," although it sounds like you already have a problem. Get a female coach or mother to set these girls straight, dangerous if you do it yourself, god help you if you do.
  • This thread borders on T.M.I. Shouldn't this be discussed in the Women's Locker Room? Or at least can't we refer to it as "Aunt Flo" rather than a period? :)
  • In my mind, this should just not even be an issue. If girls are going to use their periods as an excuse to sit out, they are going to find something else to use as an excuse to sit out. Forcing 13 year olds is not going to accomplish anything. The bottom line is that by this age, they have to want to do it. Let them learn the hard way that sitting out costs them the edge in competition. Girls that are sitting out or making excuses most likely will not last in the sport through high school and certainly not college. The girls that truly want to be good swimmers will find a way to minimize the impact their period has on their lifestyle by using tampons. If this means they have to overcome their fear and discomfort, they will do it IF IT IS WORTH IT TO THEM. If you are having to force 13 year olds to train when they don't want to, best to reexamine the reason why they are there.