Swimming on your Period?

Former Member
Former Member
I just became the coach of my first swim team, and I, being a male, am having a hard time with the whole period thing. My girls are middle school level, and a little shy about the subject, as am I. Now, I know that you can swim on your period by using a tampon, but they cringed at the idea. However, on a 20 girl team, I've got as many as 6-7 girls sitting out daily because of it. I know that's far FAR too high. I'm about this close to going out and buying a box of tampons to shove in their face if they don't dress. So my questions are: How necessary is it that you wear a tampon? Is it an every day thing? are there times when it's worse than others? And, how can I easily make the lives of the swimmers who don't swim (and keep in mind it has to be for a group of 6-7 people) a living hell. I need a dry land work out that can be done on the pool deck that takes little effort to watch (so I can coach the other girls) and something they can't really slack off - I keep giving them push ups and they barely go down. I really can't think of anything outside of making the actual swim session fun, so if you guys have ideas on how to do that too it might work, too. It need to work on something important though.
Parents
  • Absolutely agree. Has sidelined me faster than a stress fracture in the femoral neck (hip) did. A stress fracture in the hip is pretty painful. It just sounds like there needs to be some communication with the parents about the issue. Some may be using it as an excuse but others may have moms that just don't encourage the use of tampons. As a former age-group coach, I observed that this was not uncommon. And yes, some girls are really wigged out by using tampons and since it is a control thing, they have to become comfortable on their own with it. Which is why the coach has to make sure the parents are aware of the situation. Put the ball in their court. The curse nowadays, at age 42, is TRULY a curse. It actually does sideline me sometimes. But never as a kid. It was potentially embarrassing, sure, but I would not have needed to sit out for multiple practices with my buddies! You might have one or two girls with true heavy bleeding issues (though it's hard for me to imagine) but I think that's relatively rare. Having been an age-group coach, the only time I can remember a girl ever having to miss practice for her period--her mom didn't bring her to practice for a day. How about making the girls have a note from their parents to sit out? Think that might solve your problem right there. At least you'd know the ones sitting out had a legit reason and parental approval.
  • Absolutely agree. Has sidelined me faster than a stress fracture in the femoral neck (hip) did. A stress fracture in the hip is pretty painful. It just sounds like there needs to be some communication with the parents about the issue. Some may be using it as an excuse but others may have moms that just don't encourage the use of tampons. As a former age-group coach, I observed that this was not uncommon. And yes, some girls are really wigged out by using tampons and since it is a control thing, they have to become comfortable on their own with it. Which is why the coach has to make sure the parents are aware of the situation. Put the ball in their court. The curse nowadays, at age 42, is TRULY a curse. It actually does sideline me sometimes. But never as a kid. It was potentially embarrassing, sure, but I would not have needed to sit out for multiple practices with my buddies! You might have one or two girls with true heavy bleeding issues (though it's hard for me to imagine) but I think that's relatively rare. Having been an age-group coach, the only time I can remember a girl ever having to miss practice for her period--her mom didn't bring her to practice for a day. How about making the girls have a note from their parents to sit out? Think that might solve your problem right there. At least you'd know the ones sitting out had a legit reason and parental approval.
Children
No Data