Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
  • Something I've been playing around with is doing a set of 8x125 where the first 100 is free and the last 25 is fly. So far the first one feels really good, the the last 7 are tough. I'm thinking/hoping that this might help to condition me to have enough gas left at the end of a 100 to keep from dying. I've also been doing quite a bit of IM work and switching the order to where fly is the last leg. Now…look at these guys :bliss::bliss:
  • What does the phrase "best average" mean? The difference here is "all out" compared to "best average". If you do 3x50 on 1:00 "all out", there is insufficient recovery time, so your times might be.... 26, 29, 30. If you do 3x50 on 1:00 "best average", you don't completely fail, so your times might be.... 28, 28, 29. The idea behind "best average" is to maintain your effort on the entire set and determine your base for the 2nd 50 of a 100.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    the 50's are best average, not all out. What does the phrase "best average" mean?
  • Former Member
    Fortress, Please tell us more about this situation. What is it like? AJ You're young and strong, hotstuff! Don't get me wrong ... I'm nasty competitive
  • I always wonder which one might be the best way to improve let's say 10x100 best average maybe 10-15" rest OR 5x100 all out maybe 45-1:00 rest If someone ask me which one would require more effort, I'd say that both sets means very much the same effort, but what I dont know is which one would improve you the most, the first set may be better for the 400 free, and the 2nd one for the 100 free I mean, what are you really working for when you choose one of them instead of the other I would disagree with you on one point: I think the first set is basically a broken 1000 and is working on race distances closer to that, while the second is working more on the 400/500 and somewhat on the 200. I also think it is very difficult to go truly "all out" with only :45 - 1:00 rest between 100s, that isn't enough time to recover (particularly if we are talking about butterfly, though you mentioned freestyle). As far as what you gain, "all out" efforts are when your body is exposed to conditions (heart rate, oxygen debt, lactic acid levels) most similar to a shorter race -- by shorter, I mean 200 and less -- and when your body will learn to cope with such conditions. Stroke efficiency and turns can also be different at full speed.
  • Ack. No, I won't do that. Nice happy birthday present for you, (S)he!
  • Former Member
    The difference here is "all out" compared to "best average". If you do 3x50 on 1:00 "all out", there is insufficient recovery time, so your times might be.... 26, 29, 30. If you do 3x50 on 1:00 "best average", you don't completely fail, so your times might be.... 28, 28, 29. The idea behind "best average" is to maintain your effort on the entire set and determine your base for the 2nd 50 of a 100. I always wonder which one might be the best way to improve let's say 10x100 best average maybe 10-15" rest OR 5x100 all out maybe 45-1:00 rest If someone ask me which one would require more effort, I'd say that both sets means very much the same effort, but what I dont know is which one would improve you the most, the first set may be better for the 400 free, and the 2nd one for the 100 free I mean, what are you really working for when you choose one of them instead of the other
  • Former Member
    Don't do this: SCY 400 Warm Up 2x300 IM Order Right Arm/ L Arm/ Swim by 25s 6x100 @ 1:30 Ttumble 8x25 @ :30 IM ORDER FLY 1x800 Alternate 50 Fly/ 50 FR 4 TIMES 1x300 FR @ 3:45 6x50 Fly DRILL @ :55 1x100 Fly FAST for Time @ 1:30 - Rounds 1 and 3 1x200 Fly FAST for Time @ 3:00 - Rounds 2 and 4 20x50 1-5 FR @ :40 6-10 Fly @ :40 11-15 FR @ :35 16-20 Fly @ :40 6x100 @ 1:30 1,2,4,5 EZ FR 3 and 6 FAST for time 100 EZ
  • Hey Fort, At the end of practice today I used the parachute (fully closed) for some 50 fly repeats. It was the first time I had used the chute for anything longer than 25s. VERY brutal, the last half-lap felt exactly like the end of a butterfly race. IMO a much more realistic simulation of a race than a typical long fly set (I had done a set of 125s fly earlier in practice: tiring but not the same way a race is). Anyway, if your shoulders can hack it, it might be a good way to train for the 100 fly. Curiously, freestyle and backstroke weren't nearly as bad over 50 yards. Tiring, sure, but really no worse than 25s with the chute. Thought I'd let you know; as I said, I'll bring it to the meet at the end of the month.
  • I think you have to swim 100s (straight) in practice to be successful come meet time. Heck, I swim broke 100s; 25, 50 and 75 repeats and 100s and I still die at the end. I also do tons of drills. It's the ONLY event I swim regularly that I swim almost as fast in practice as I do at a meet ... anyway ... Auburn sprinters swim with small weights - I've thought about this (as well as getting a chute which I plan to do this fall when I actually get my butt in gear and start training a bit more) but I think it would cause far more havoc on the shoulders than a chute. I could be wrong. A drag suit or shoes is something to consider also. A drill some sadistic coach inflicted upon me this summer that I KNOW help was 10 kicks underwater/5 strokes and he would say, “lather, rinse, repeat”. SCY it isn’t bad but LCM it’s rough! I also LOVE right arm, both, left arm, both – etc. Breathe only on the single arms OR the double arms. It’s great to get the rhythm and I prefer it to 2,2,2. I however bow :notworthy: the fly masters that have responded thus far – I aspire to my screen name though never need to swim the 200 again …