Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
Parents
  • I think you have to swim 100s (straight) in practice to be successful come meet time. Heck, I swim broke 100s; 25, 50 and 75 repeats and 100s and I still die at the end. I also do tons of drills. It's the ONLY event I swim regularly that I swim almost as fast in practice as I do at a meet ... anyway ... Auburn sprinters swim with small weights - I've thought about this (as well as getting a chute which I plan to do this fall when I actually get my butt in gear and start training a bit more) but I think it would cause far more havoc on the shoulders than a chute. I could be wrong. A drag suit or shoes is something to consider also. A drill some sadistic coach inflicted upon me this summer that I KNOW help was 10 kicks underwater/5 strokes and he would say, “lather, rinse, repeat”. SCY it isn’t bad but LCM it’s rough! I also LOVE right arm, both, left arm, both – etc. Breathe only on the single arms OR the double arms. It’s great to get the rhythm and I prefer it to 2,2,2. I however bow :notworthy: the fly masters that have responded thus far – I aspire to my screen name though never need to swim the 200 again …
  • I think you have to swim 100s (straight) in practice to be successful come meet time. Heck, I swim broke 100s; 25, 50 and 75 repeats and 100s and I still die at the end. I also do tons of drills. It's the ONLY event I swim regularly that I swim almost as fast in practice as I do at a meet ... anyway ... Auburn sprinters swim with small weights - I've thought about this (as well as getting a chute which I plan to do this fall when I actually get my butt in gear and start training a bit more) but I think it would cause far more havoc on the shoulders than a chute. I could be wrong. A drag suit or shoes is something to consider also. A drill some sadistic coach inflicted upon me this summer that I KNOW help was 10 kicks underwater/5 strokes and he would say, “lather, rinse, repeat”. SCY it isn’t bad but LCM it’s rough! I also LOVE right arm, both, left arm, both – etc. Breathe only on the single arms OR the double arms. It’s great to get the rhythm and I prefer it to 2,2,2. I however bow :notworthy: the fly masters that have responded thus far – I aspire to my screen name though never need to swim the 200 again …
Children
No Data