Training for the 100 fly?

I'm seeking advice on training for the 100 fly. Decided to start swimming it last year. Swam it 7x on the three courses. I can only remember 3x times where I didn't suffer from complete paralysis the last 15 meters or so and worry about a DQ. Gah. So how can I fix this? I've read that you don't need to train fly in practice. I'm not sure I buy this. The muscular fatigue from fly seems unique. And I don't want to substitute freestyle training for it. What are some good sets? How many SDKs per length should I take to prevent oxygen debt? If too much fly hurts the shoulders, is kicking a decent training substitute? I also seem to swim better 100 flys on a week rest. The paralysis seems to be associated with a 2 week taper. Does aerobic fitness drop off that quickly? Is this an age thing? Or is it that I just don't train enough yards for a 2 week taper?
Parents
  • I always wonder which one might be the best way to improve let's say 10x100 best average maybe 10-15" rest OR 5x100 all out maybe 45-1:00 rest If someone ask me which one would require more effort, I'd say that both sets means very much the same effort, but what I dont know is which one would improve you the most, the first set may be better for the 400 free, and the 2nd one for the 100 free I mean, what are you really working for when you choose one of them instead of the other I would disagree with you on one point: I think the first set is basically a broken 1000 and is working on race distances closer to that, while the second is working more on the 400/500 and somewhat on the 200. I also think it is very difficult to go truly "all out" with only :45 - 1:00 rest between 100s, that isn't enough time to recover (particularly if we are talking about butterfly, though you mentioned freestyle). As far as what you gain, "all out" efforts are when your body is exposed to conditions (heart rate, oxygen debt, lactic acid levels) most similar to a shorter race -- by shorter, I mean 200 and less -- and when your body will learn to cope with such conditions. Stroke efficiency and turns can also be different at full speed.
  • I always wonder which one might be the best way to improve let's say 10x100 best average maybe 10-15" rest OR 5x100 all out maybe 45-1:00 rest If someone ask me which one would require more effort, I'd say that both sets means very much the same effort, but what I dont know is which one would improve you the most, the first set may be better for the 400 free, and the 2nd one for the 100 free I mean, what are you really working for when you choose one of them instead of the other I would disagree with you on one point: I think the first set is basically a broken 1000 and is working on race distances closer to that, while the second is working more on the 400/500 and somewhat on the 200. I also think it is very difficult to go truly "all out" with only :45 - 1:00 rest between 100s, that isn't enough time to recover (particularly if we are talking about butterfly, though you mentioned freestyle). As far as what you gain, "all out" efforts are when your body is exposed to conditions (heart rate, oxygen debt, lactic acid levels) most similar to a shorter race -- by shorter, I mean 200 and less -- and when your body will learn to cope with such conditions. Stroke efficiency and turns can also be different at full speed.
Children
No Data