My issue with 100 Butterfly

Former Member
Former Member
I enjoy doing butterfly( i really do) i just hate how i feel when i do it at practice and sometimes after a race. The main problem i have is that whenever we are doing 100 fly sets at practice i cant control my breathing. when i touch the wall after my first link(SCY) i have to take two whole breaths before i kick off the wall or i feel like i am going to die. After the 75 i am out of it, i lift my head when i take a breath and that only make it worse. Whats the best way to remedy my breathing tech at practice? What could i tell my coach to help me with? Thanks in Advanced. ~Skaterbaj
  • The only thing that I can suggest is practice different breathing patterns. The whole two breaths before you kick off the wall. I would suggest to do mid pool 25s to work on this.
  • The main problem i have is that whenever we are doing 100 fly sets at practice i cant control my breathing. I wish I could do a set of 100 flys in practice. So far I've done one, then switched to free. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
  • My opinion is that it's more important to swim the fly with good stroke technique than it is to swim it for a lot of distance. In other words, if I can only swim a 25 or a 50 before my stroke starts to fall apart, then my sets will only contain 25s or 50s. The idea is that when I swim fly, I swim it well. I feel good, I go fast, and I don't dread it or learn bad habits. When race day comes, swimming a 100 is easy despite never swimming 100's in practice. I can get endurance elsewhere...
  • Is it possible you are working from chest/thorax rather than motivating from core? Also, one wants effective kicking. Side note: I have been watching Michael Phelps's fly DVD (Swim Fast series), and it has helped me at least visualize how I might do better! There are also drills I have found useful. Side note: I occasionally practice next to an extraordinary flyer. He does laps of spending a long time in the catch position. I enjoy doing butterfly( i really do) i just hate how i feel when i do it at practice and sometimes after a race. The main problem i have is that whenever we are doing 100 fly sets at practice i cant control my breathing. when i touch the wall after my first link(SCY) i have to take two whole breaths before i kick off the wall or i feel like i am going to die. After the 75 i am out of it, i lift my head when i take a breath and that only make it worse. Whats the best way to remedy my breathing tech at practice? What could i tell my coach to help me with? Thanks in Advanced. ~Skaterbaj
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    don't stop on the wall and take 2 breaths before you turn in fly improve your conditioning, get stronger don't do 100 fly's in practice train mostly freestyle do 25's, 50's & 75's what's your goal? Im probably breathing the wrong way. My Club coach told me to always take the first 3 strokes easy when i start butterfly in a race then go down to 1stroke no breath, stroke then head up for breath with my chin still close to the water. I am trying to get stronger and i have been when i first did 100 fly in Jan. i was at a 1:11(SCY) then in March i was at a 1:05. That was the last time did the event in scy and in LC my fastest was a 1:17 because i get soo tired. Now Highschool is starting and i want to be at a 1:02 or lower. I have heard that Butterfly times should be close to freestyle times. I kno people who go faster on there 100 butterfly than their freestyle. And my Free is around 56.4(SCY) Skaterbaj
  • Former Member
    My issue is it is about 75 too far!
  • I wish I could do a set of 100 flys in practice. So far I've done one, then switched to free. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: same here. I have only swam 100m fly correctly 2-3 times in the last 18 months at practice. I am happy if I can get a 50 in before going over to one arm fly
  • don't stop on the wall and take 2 breaths before you turn in fly improve your conditioning, get stronger don't do 100 fly's in practice train mostly freestyle do 25's, 50's & 75's what's your goal? I enjoy doing butterfly( i really do) i just hate how i feel when i do it at practice and sometimes after a race. The main problem i have is that whenever we are doing 100 fly sets at practice i cant control my breathing. when i touch the wall after my first link(SCY) i have to take two whole breaths before i kick off the wall or i feel like i am going to die. After the 75 i am out of it, i lift my head when i take a breath and that only make it worse. Whats the best way to remedy my breathing tech at practice? What could i tell my coach to help me with? Thanks in Advanced. ~Skaterbaj
  • improve your conditioning, get stronger don't do 100 fly's in practice Ande, I want to understand your reasoning behind this comment. So doing 100 Fly's in workouts is not recommended? Why? This is not intended as a barb, I truely am interested in the reasoning behind this.
  • Former Member
    I was turned into a fly swimmer a few years ago. Hopefully, these tips will help. Concentrate on exhaling underwater. People often forget about this during fly and waste half a breath trying to exhale. I always make sure I force all the air out of my lungs when I dip my head back into the water. This includes off the turn. Watch Michael Phelps and company, huge bubbles generally come out of their noses when they push off the wall. Remember exhaling is just as important as inhaling. (I personally think it is more important) Try breathing to the side on every stroke. A lot of very high profile swimemrs do this. It can be used effectively for breathing and keeping an eye on competitors. Simply angle your head to the side and breathe while keeping you neck and shoulder muscles relaxed. This saves a alot of energy. Develop a breathing pattern while doing fly drills. This is instrumental in improving breathing. During one-arm fly, I always breathe every three strokes. Although for timing reasons when I race I breathe every stroke, I know by practicing breathing every three during drills allows me to breathe every three during a race if needed. Do a lot of underwater work to make sure you develop the lung capacity, too. On one of my teams we used to have an underwater distance race. The people who could do a 50 underwater in the fastest time won a beer or something. I would suggest practicing your underwater fly kick so that you can go further off the walls and use less upperbody energy. I hope these help