Best race you've ever seen?

Former Member
Former Member
As the title says, what's the best race you recall ever seeing?
  • Men's 4 X 200 Free Relay - 1984 Olympics in L.A. - Anchor leg - Bruce Hayes vs. Michael Gross (The "Albatross") - Hayes was perfect against one of the great swimmers of the time! Ask and ye shall receive: www.youtube.com/watch
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    My hero, Marin Morrisson, swimming in her high school meet after 3 brain surgeries that left her right arm and leg paralyzed. She has just had her 4th brain surgery last week and had just made the 2008 Special Olympics Team! We hope and pray she can recover in time to compete....it is a lifelong dream of hers. www.tvharmony.com/.../watch She's local to my area, so we see her on television when they do segments about her accomplishments. Talk about inspirational!
  • Ask and ye shall receive: www.youtube.com/watch Bless You!! "May the wind be always at your back!"
  • Former Member
    LOL - no, sorry! I was referring to Misty Hyman's 200 meter butterfly race from 2000. That race was almost what you wanted (same Olympics) so can I still have the burrito.
  • Former Member
    Affirmed and Alydar...1978 Belmont.....my first track experience.....Affirmed broke by a nose early and they went a mile and a half with no more than that 1/2 a neck between them! Or did you mean swim race?:wine: Happy cinqo de mayo to all of you!
  • Former Member
    No close second for me---The woman's 4 X 200 Free relay in Athens when the USA team smashed the 17 year old E. German cheats WR.
  • #1,1976 women's 400 free relay,when the US women beat the E German cheaters.Unbelievable race.Nothing else even close. All time goose bump race-1968 Mexico Olympics when Felipe Munoz won the 200 BR.He was the only Mexican to Gold at that Olympics and the entire stadium was screaming "Mejico" every time he breathed.:cheerleader: For the Felipe Munoz race, click here: www.youtube.com/watch The breaststroke style in those days was very different.
  • Former Member
    1974 NCAA men's 100 Breaststroke finals. All 6 swimmers finished within .7 seconds of each other.
  • #1,1976 women's 400 free relay,when the US women beat the E German cheaters.Unbelievable race.Nothing else even close. All time goose bump race-1968 Mexico Olympics when Felipe Munoz won the 200 BR.He was the only Mexican to Gold at that Olympics and the entire stadium was screaming "Mejico" every time he breathed.:cheerleader:
  • Seems strange to come up with a 1500, as they are usually lopsided, but the 1976 Olympics with Goodell, Hackett, and Holland is still the most incredible race I have ever seen. It kept going and going, changing leads, with all three breaking the existing world record.