Jaw Pain

Former Member
Former Member
Last night after my workout, I noticed that I had done something to my jaw during my swim and it really hurt to bite down. Fortunately, I had a dentist appt. this a.m. and the dentist said that my jaw was not dislocated, but he felt it might be a soft tissue matter and the muscle was inflamed. Has this ever happened to anyone?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your insight and advice. If my husband were to read these posts he would have told me that my jaw hurts because I never shut my mouth. :shakeshead: *cough* ;)
  • Former Member
    I had that problem years ago and it wouldn't go away. It wasn't associated with swimming per se but it wouldn't go away. After much medical consultation I was advised to stop chewing gum and it went away forever and I still don't chew. It had something to do with a facial nerve, as far as I can remember.
  • Former Member
    Peter - did it come on very suddenly? I quit smoking 5 years ago by gum chewing and now I'm addicted to gum. Yes, I have issues. I know I won't start smoking again, but I'm worried about eating in lieu of gum chewing. :frustrated: So how does one overcome a gum chewing addiction?!? (Now I'm sounding like the guy on Airplane - I just picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue, etc).
  • Former Member
    By strange coincidence, I overcame a two pack a day smoking habit when I was twenty-five and greatly increased my gum chewing, yes. Things were fine until, yes, suddenly there was this pain. I really can't remember much about diagnosis other than it amounted to 'darn thing just plumb wore out' re nerve. I 'scratch' that compulsive part of me with equal parts of swimming, these forums, reading and wine.
  • Former Member
    I quit smoking a little over 10 years ago and still chew lots of gum. Just traded one habit for another. But this one isn't nearly as harmful. Sure makes my jaws tired at times!:laugh2:
  • 1. Does it hurt to cold or hot water inside your mouth? 2. Is it tender on a specific tooth? yes.. I do this every day.
  • Former Member
    Gee, I am not the only one who has pulled a jaw joint muscle caused by swimming. After one of my fly routines, I actually pulled a jaw muscle, which plagued me for about three months. Yes, I am a dentist and it even happens to us! Moist heat and laying off the fly for a while cured me. Happy swimming!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I know it's been a long time since this thread was started but I just pulled a jaw muscle during a flip turn. I was wearing my nose pinchers and as I exhaled in my turn I felt my eustation tubes inflate and then my jaw kind of went out of joint and a severe pain followed. Two days later and my jaw is still tender and I find it difficult to bring my teeth together on that side to chew. Really odd.