Jaw Pain

Former Member
Former Member
Last night after my workout, I noticed that I had done something to my jaw during my swim and it really hurt to bite down. Fortunately, I had a dentist appt. this a.m. and the dentist said that my jaw was not dislocated, but he felt it might be a soft tissue matter and the muscle was inflamed. Has this ever happened to anyone?
  • Sounds to me like you were tense and it manifested in your jaw. Try some heat to relax it.
  • I'm not a doctor, but that is what I would do. Most of my injuries are because I am tense and moist heat works for me.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    Could be anything. Amisalignment anywhere from your feet up can cause pain in back, neck and jaw. Think about your body structure. An obvious thing I'd ask is: did you dive in at all or grit your teeth in a really hard portion of a set?
  • Former Member
    Didn't dive in, but I was gritting my teeth. The pool was really crowded and full of the non-competitive type swimmers who don't know lane etiquette (I'll leave it at that to avoid getting off topic and starting a debate over noodlers v. non-noodlers). Plus, I never really got into my workout last night, I was very tense the whole time and stayed annoyed throughout. When that happens, I tend to swim with more intensity trying to get the stress out and I was breathing pretty hard on several occasions.
  • Former Member
    Didn't dive in, but I was gritting my teeth. The pool was really crowded and full of the non-competitive type swimmers who don't know lane etiquette (I'll leave it at that to avoid getting off topic and starting a debate over noodlers v. non-noodlers). Plus, I never really got into my workout last night, I was very tense the whole time and stayed annoyed throughout. When that happens, I tend to swim with more intensity trying to get the stress out and I was breathing pretty hard on several occasions. Grit your teeth hard now. Did it hurt in the same spot? Do you chew gum?
  • Former Member
    Middle/Inner ear infection? Maybe get your ENT to look at it.
  • Former Member
    Grit your teeth hard now. Did it hurt in the same spot? Do you chew gum? Yes, it is painful to grit my teeth in the same spot. Yes, I am a regular gum chewer. :rolleyes: I will also add that I had no pain at all until after my workout.
  • Former Member
    Sounds to me like you were tense and it manifested in your jaw. Try some heat to relax it. Yes, I will, the dentist recommended moist heat. I'm so lucky to never have had any athletic type injury other than sore muscles, so treatment of any muscles strain, sprains, etc. is completely foreign to me. That being said, assuming it is just a muscle strain, is moist heat the way to go?
  • Former Member
    Yes, it is painful to grit my teeth in the same spot. Yes, I am a regular gum chewer. :rolleyes: I will also add that I had no pain at all until after my workout. Ok in my unprofessional medical opinion, you've just exerted yourself a bit. The mix of swimming and gritting teeth probably means you were transferring a fair bit of tension into the jaw. Ease off on the gum for a day or two, and I'd go with ice and heat finishing with ice. Good thought about the ear thing...monitor that and see a doc if the pain doesn't ease in a day or so. ;) Oh..and don't snap your gum! LOL
  • Former Member
    Thanks everyone for your insight and advice. If my husband were to read these posts he would have told me that my jaw hurts because I never shut my mouth. :shakeshead: