"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?"

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" I started this thread over in the work outs section which I think doesn't get as much traffic as the general discussion board so here's the link forums.usms.org/showthread.php but my point is, No matter what, the time between right now and your focus meet is going to pass, and the things you do to prepare for your meet is of the UTMOST importance. the choices you make the chances you take swim hard in practice rehearse racing I want to read your story about your breakthrough. Decide it starts today that this season will be your best season EVER What do you need to do to make this true? Ande
  • Very funny ande. Great poem. Or is it a song? I have no breatkthroughs scheduled, however. My only current goal is to be 2.49 seconds behind Muppet in the 50 meter fly despite the 5 pounds and not have my shoulder hurt. I wouldn't mind going a PB in my 50 back either, I guess. I think I need to get more sleep and sprint more to do that though. I could use a better finish to achieve that too. My backstroke finishes always suck. How does one avoid/solve this problem? (Don't tell me to count strokes on a 50 meter swim! I'd lose count.)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 17 years ago
    And I don't want to ask my husband because I don't want to be that stereotypical wife who traps her hubby with "Do I look fat?" questions. ;) The actual "trap" question that no husband (or soul-mate or significant other) can answer without creating a problem is "Do I look fat in these jeans?" (or skirt or dress or shorts or pants or ...........). It's almost like the prosecutor's, always damning, question, "Did you stop beating your wife?"
  • Ande, I am looking for a breakthrough in my 400 and 1500 at Nationals. After a great 1650 at SCY Nationals in May I was hoping to do just as well if not better in The Woodlands. The problem I am running into is HOT POOL! I just can't seem to hold my pace any more. The pool we normally swim in is closed for the summer to replace bubble with a wooden roof. So for the summer we are in a neighborhood pool with 6 lanes and over 86 degrees. I can make about 2 or 3 100's on 1:30 (barely), where previously in 's on 1:30. Currently I am swimming 6 days a week between 4500-5000yards a day in the morning with the masters team. This week I have made arrangements with the kids team in town that is practicing at an indoor pool to join them for 2 days per week in the evenings. They have one extra lane that I can use. I was thinking about using that time to do pace sets like 100's and 200's and use the masters workouts for just easy yardage, stroke work, streamline, and SDK practice, but not overheat myself. Any suggestions would be helpful. I want to get my old pace back but feel like I can't move any more. Tomorrow will be my first day with the kids and I am hoping the colder water will make the difference. Thanks, Donna
  • I had the opportunity to swim with Arizona Mountain Masters on Monday morning while in Flagstaff, AZ for a biz trip. The coach warned me several times about taking things too hard because of the elevation (there's an elevation sign at the pool that says about 7500 feet...the Phx area is about 1500). Not only did I have elevation but also LCM to deal with, and an indoor pool with warmer water (used to swimming outside). So often it seems like I'm just going through the motions, I get in the same lane, know how many strokes to get to the other side...etc, that mixing it up is great. Not quite a breakthrough, but it made me think about what I was doing for sure...now just have to keep the thought process going every day. It is tough to get in workouts when I travel, but I've had pretty good luck lately (Tucson last week, Albuquerque a few months ago).
  • Former Member
    Hi ande. I'm thinking about swimming at LCM nationals. More specifically my wife is encouraging me to do it. (BTW you complement your wife before she asks if she looks good or not :hug:). Anyway I don't want to fly out there and swim poorly. What would be my best way of making this a break through meet. Upping my yardage (swim doubles) or up the intensity (faster intervals)? If I go I'd swim the 50,100,200,400 free, 200 IM and possibly one other event. Kevin
  • Former Member
    Brown noser, now it's gonna go to her head, she's going to become unbearable. Next you'll probably start a fan website like Fort Fans or Leslie Lookers or LivingSTONERS. Soon after you'll start following her like paparazzi, photographing her and video taping her at swim meets and practice. Weeks later you'll get a little too close, creep her out and she'll file a restraining order then you won't be able to come within 500 or 1,000 feet of her. AJ Leslie you have a geat body--5lbs or not. You're shoulders are not "The Thing" style...pleez...only Breaststrokers have bulging shoulders... :groovy: I dare say Chlorini is in damn fine shape too.
  • Former Member
    Brown noser, now it's gonna go to her head, she's going to become unbearable. Next you'll probably start a fan website like Fort Fans or Leslie Lookers or LivingSTONERS. Soon after you'll start following her like paparazzi, photographing her and video taping her at swim meets and practice. Weeks later you'll get a little too close, creep her out and she'll file a restraining order then you won't be able to come within 500 or 1,000 feet of her. AJ Unlikely...I am swimstud after all...
  • Former Member
    Brown noser, now it's gonna go to her head, she's going to become unbearable. Next you'll probably start a fan website like Fort Fans or Leslie Lookers or LivingSTONERS. Soon after you'll start following her like paparazzi, photographing her and video taping her at swim meets and practice. Weeks later you'll get a little too close, creep her out and she'll file a restraining order then you won't be able to come within 500 or 1,000 feet of her. AJ Been there done that already (right Les) LOL! :rofl:
  • Today was our first day back in a cooler pool I still wouldn't call 82 cold but it is better than 86 any day. Since I swam alot of IM this morning in the hot pool I choose to do a quick 5x200 quality set that was still very lack luster, but better than what I was able to do at the other pool. Thanks for the advice. I am also taking this time away from the masters team to work on my kick. Trying to follow your advice on one of the other threads. Did a 4x25 from a push, no board, kicking on my side in :45, :40, :38, :38. I know my kick stinks but it will get better with more practice, especially since I never kick (till now). Thanks again.
  • that's a lot of events which 2 are most important to you? I have different suggestions for the 400/200 than I do for the 50/100 200/400 train hard 5 - 6 x / wk be consistent focus on swimming fast hard 100's, 200's 300's and 400's in practice learn your pace and even split everything don't taper much 50/100 train hard 5 - 6 x / wk be consistent focus on swimming fast hard 15's, 25's 50's & 100's in practice lift weights work on starts and SDK taper more read swim faster faster Ande Hi ande. I'm thinking about swimming at LCM nationals. What would be my best way of making this a break through meet. Upping my yardage (swim doubles) or up the intensity (faster intervals)? If I go I'd swim the 50,100,200,400 free, 200 IM and possibly one other event. Kevin