Will you critique my stroke technique?

Will you please critique my stroke technique on this 200 IM video?  Please keep in mind that I am NOT looking to increase my speed; my goal is solely to improve my stroke.  Why?  I have dysautonomia (aka autonomic neuropathy), a disorder of my autonomic nervous system.  I need to keep my heart rate less than around 130 bpm to avoid the tailspin my autonomic nervous system goes into at higher intensity.   As a result, I can no longer race my races; I swim my races.  NQT's are no longer on my annual goal list!

Looking over my video, I do see that I need to get my arms in for a tighter streamline.  The slow speed of my underwater dolphin kick is intentional.  I'm in Lane 2, wearing the blue suit and blue USMS cap:

https://youtu.be/LUmR69OH17k

Thanks, Forumites, for your constructive criticism!

• This isn’t really about your stroke, and maybe you’ve already considered it, or are doing it. But with regard to your max heart rate…what about using smart goggles that use a heart rate monitor, and displaying your BPM so that you constantly know what it is, and how much harder you can or can’t go?

But WRT your strokes. I think they all look good myself. Specifically the butterfly. Personally I find it difficult to swim butterfly slow. But I’m not good at it either. It’s an on or off stroke for me. All or nothing.

Dan

• Thanks, Dan!  I've been working on my fly, because I love the challenge!

Thanks for the suggestion regarding smart goggles.  I hadn't really considered it, because I have such a difficult time getting goggles to fit me properly due to my narrow face.  These are the only ones I have found to fit properly, so I purchase them in multiples!

I have also found my old fashioned method of two fingers on my carotid artery and timing it with an inexpensive waterproof watch works well.  I have been doing it that way for so long that I pretty much know what my heart rate will be without even needing a watch to time it.

When I feel adrenaline or lactic acid kicking in, I also know it's time to put the breaks on!

• The fly does look good. Back and free, what I notice is you are swimming uphill. On back if you can raise your hips it would help. On free similarly"push the T" as they say. Also on free you are not getting good EVF, but with your shoulders that may be harder than for most people. On BR, timing is good, kick is much better, pull is OK given your limitations, but you are recovering aiming your hand too far down.

Good job over all, and something to monitor HR is a good idea, but fingers to the carotid is good.

• Ug, that stinks, I'm sorry to read that!  So a thought for you.  Have you ever considered taking up distance.....like open water......swimming?  Obviously if you are doing, say a 10K, you can't maintain 160bpm for 2.5 hours.

• Thanks for the feedback, King Frog!  I appreciate it and will work on making your suggested improvements.  One thing for sure:  I am ecstatic to get positive feedback on my fly, breaststroke timing and kick! 

• Thanks, '67.  I LOVE open water!  I compete in the Georgia Games Open Water Meet every summer at Lake Acworth, and I really enjoy it.  I wish there were more open water opportunities around Griffin.

I used to compete in the 1650 and 1500; however, it made for a tough meet line-up, since I also like the 400 IM and 200 Fly, in addition to my breaststroke events.  My meet line-ups were INSANE in the past; however, I can no longer tackle all of those events in one day.

I love training and swimming all four strokes, so I can never be just a distance freestyler.  Thanks for the idea, though!