Finally the Forums are back

Hi everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

• New and improved?"   This seems a lot more movement and searching to get to where we are now. I guess I need to adapt.

I also need to find my Orca logo to attach it to my name ---- some where.

• ok so I am having trouble navigating all this.  Are the old blogs gone?  I see threads in the "general swimming discussion" > "member generated workouts" section from years and years ago, but not sure where those got imported from?  And do we have a comprehensive easy to use "workout blog"/online workout log function?  I saw Jeff's attempts at a workout blog post and then his complaints further down about it not working very well...Someone give me a TL;DR on this.

• We just sent out a member-wide email announcing the new forums. Welcome to everyone dropping in!

• I've updated the graphics on the homepage.

• Hi  There is a coordinated launch and communication strategy that began today.  We have added a link to community in the event drop down at the top of the home page and you'll notice community is the main item on usms.org as of today.   We did a soft launch to ensure that we were ready for much greater volume once the communication begins.   There is coordinated communication planned in the short term, including the email sent today, and plan to continue to foster engagement after our launch phase..

As active members of the community, you may not see all of that communication because we can tailor to specific groups of members (and you already use the community so probably don't want messaging telling you to do so).  But in the short term you will see more mentions to get engaged and with any luck we'll see more posting and participation.   Thanks for your help getting this fully launched. 

• Thanks for filling us in, Dawson.  I understand now, and your plan makes perfect sense!  

• Excellent!  Thanks for posting it on the USMS Facebook page, too.

• This switchover reminds me of several years ago when RUNNER’S WORLD wanted to get rid of their discussion forums. Well, not get “rid of” but just not have to maintain them themselves any longer. So, they were transferred over to Active.com (organization that sucks)...still maintained all the “RUNNER’S WORLD” branding and all...just maintained by Active. The “new and improved” forums were difficult to navigate. Lots of complaints. Eventually RUNNER’S WORLD just decided to get rid of them completely. So...there are no longer any discussion forums at RUNNER’S WORLD. They pretty much said “discuss running on our Facebook page.” And that was that.

BTW...is there a way to search of past posts? Either your own, or another member’s?

Dan
  • Hi @forceDJ - Thanks for the comments. There is always a learning curve with a new platform and we'll do our best to help members get through it as quickly as possible.  Without changing to a new platform, the USMS forums would have gone the way of those formerly hosted by Runner's World/ Active.  The software platform we were using was outdated and not conducive to easy integration with our other systems  including functions like a single password for sign on or more modern functionality such as the achievement badges we now have. The platform was adopted so we could easily manage it well into the future with built in upgrades and security considerations that don't need significant USMS financial resources to manage. This is a member only benefit that we plan to continue long term. 

You can search post history.  For your own, the easiest path is to click on the the profile icon in the top right and then click your profile name (ForceDJ). That will take you to your profile page. On the header, there are numerous options for navigation. clicking on Activity will show your history.  The same can be done by navigating to any other members profile page. The caveat is that if the member never connected their prior forums account to the USMS membership their profile information was not connected during the migration of data. Posts came over but couldn't be connected to a specific member profile. For those that have been active in the forums and active member (like those on this thread) , profile names were migrated over and history will appear under the the activity feed. 

Hope that helps. 

-Dawson