Is your pool too hot !

Former Member
Former Member
My local pool has just raised the water temp to 30 ' C ( 86 ' F ) ! At this temp I am exhausted after 4 lengths. A full workout of 60 to 90 mins is impossible without suffering heat exhaustion. They have already had 1 swimmer collapse on poolside after swimming hard for 40 mins. This has happened because a ' disabled swim group ' who use the pool for 45 mins once a week keep complaining about how cold the pool is. The pool management can't figure out the pool temp software so the temp is set that high for 24/7. It used to be 27' C ( 80.6' F ) and was then raised to 28'C (82.4 ' F ) 1 year ago. I can't set workouts for my club that cause heat distress if carried out so it is a nightmare. My training is on hold until i can change this and I will have to move my masters club to another pool if not changed. Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? Emmet Hines in his book says that 82 ' F ( 27.7' C ) is ideal for training, and that anything over 84' F ( 28.4 ' C ) is too hot. Does anyone else suffer through hot water temperatures ? Can anyone recommend online research that I can use to prove the dangers of excercising in hot water ?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    If the table suggests 78 to 82 'F for aqua aerobics why do they complain until the temp is at a minimum of 86 ' F ?
  • Mr Ed: You will note from kaelonj's post that the only adult temperature that falls into your human soup range is for adult swim lessons. Any adult activity other than that is well below 86. So, it is fair to say that unless you are standing around doing nothing and/or receiving instruction on how to swim, 86 is an unhealthy and unnatural temperature for fitness activity. This forum is for USMS swimmers and friends. Most swimmers don't find swimming in hot water comfortable. 86 might be fine for that first 100. I know 78 takes a lap or two to get used to. But, 86 will wear you out in a hurry for a legitimate workout. Why don't you do a 3000+ workout in 80 one day at a real pool and then the same workout the next day in 86. I suspect you will immediately notice a difference in how you swam. Gasping for air and sweating profusely is not a good workout plan.
  • Former Member
    i asked todays temp.was 28c i think is 84 f was ok cos i get cramps if too cold.
  • Former Member
    Swimming pools at these facilities should be treated as a limited resource, like any other piece of exercise equipment. Doubtful you'd see the indoor track used for yoga, aerobics, etc. Unfortunately, although these are lap pools, it is the minority of members at these facilities who actually are lap swimmers The obvious solution is to have a separate pool for these other activites.
  • Former Member
    Apparently you failed to notice that I suggested a temperature of 83° as a reasonable compromise, given the fact that some people like 86°, and others like 80°. In my first post on this subject, I mentioned the fact that most lap swimmers are not interested in compromise. Thanks for providing evidence to prove my point. Of course, as I also mentioned earlier, the best solution to this problem would be separate pools for people who like to swim for fun, and those whose approach to swimming is more like work.
  • It takes a lot of work to be a good swimmer but becoming a good swimmer certainly isn't like going to work.
  • Former Member
    As aquageek pointed out, this is the USMS website; I'm sure there are websites and discussion forums for people who prefer to float in the pool. And while it's beyond the scope of a single post to justify our sport, I will say that most of us don't consider our swimming "work."
  • No need Rob. This was my tiny embassy pool and I've since left. That's a fight for others now!
  • i live in florida too, at la fitness they keep turning it up and down depending on whose complaining that day.i think above 86 degrees they should not be allowed to advertise it as a lap pool.at that temperature it's just a communal toilet for the elderlyAbove 86 might get too warm for the elderly. But are they really using it to go to the bathroom?:cane::eeew:
  • When this happened at my pool, I sent a copy of the article about Fran Crippen's death to the pool management, and reminded them of all the kids that swim there. The temp went back down to normal a short time later. (RIP, Fran)