Is your pool too hot !

Former Member
Former Member
My local pool has just raised the water temp to 30 ' C ( 86 ' F ) ! At this temp I am exhausted after 4 lengths. A full workout of 60 to 90 mins is impossible without suffering heat exhaustion. They have already had 1 swimmer collapse on poolside after swimming hard for 40 mins. This has happened because a ' disabled swim group ' who use the pool for 45 mins once a week keep complaining about how cold the pool is. The pool management can't figure out the pool temp software so the temp is set that high for 24/7. It used to be 27' C ( 80.6' F ) and was then raised to 28'C (82.4 ' F ) 1 year ago. I can't set workouts for my club that cause heat distress if carried out so it is a nightmare. My training is on hold until i can change this and I will have to move my masters club to another pool if not changed. Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? Emmet Hines in his book says that 82 ' F ( 27.7' C ) is ideal for training, and that anything over 84' F ( 28.4 ' C ) is too hot. Does anyone else suffer through hot water temperatures ? Can anyone recommend online research that I can use to prove the dangers of excercising in hot water ?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    i live in florida too, at la fitness they keep turning it up and down depending on whose complaining that day.i think above 86 degrees they should not be allowed to advertise it as a lap pool.at that temperature it's just a communal toilet for the elderly
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    I live in 'God's Waiting Room' aka Florida so our city pools defer to the 80 year olds doing Jazzercise water talking. Best we get this time of year is from 6-8am when the aerators have been on all night and no sun heating the water. Last week it was 82 at 6am.
  • When this happened at my pool, I sent a copy of the article about Fran Crippen's death to the pool management, and reminded them of all the kids that swim there. The temp went back down to normal a short time later.We took a similar complaint to management a few years ago and their solution was to disallow Masters practices during July and August. It took 5 years to get them to reverse that policy. So be careful how you ask.
  • "Lap swimmers must be working a LOT harder than the manatees." In our neck of the woods, they are called "water buffalo." I've also heard "shamu" used. -LBJ I call them Hippo Aerobics classes
  • University pool is 82, which is pretty perfect for me. Local town pool (50m but usually strung scm) is 84* which is a bit too warm. The outdoor pool there is a nice temp, but have only swum in it once and am not sure exactly what the temp is.
  • I probably already chimed in on this, but currently I'd relish 86 degree water, my pool is currently kept at 88-89, even though they advertise it as 85. It's frustrating.
  • Just saw this note (because I was wondering if EVERYONE else was having the same problem). Clearly, 86 is inexcusable. It's just dangerous! 78 or 79 is the ideal temp - especially if you're doing USRPT sets. I continually wrestle with my local club (Lifetime Fitness Novi MI) where they keep it at a ridiculous 82 degrees. In addition to accelerating fatigue, high temps also cause problems with water clarity. Workout wise, it’s the same problem - 250 meters into a warming up and you're overheated. Add in some all race paces hundreds and you're grasping for ice or calling 911. Would be helpful if other swimmer (vs non swimmers) would help carry the message. It is somewhat laughable to see non-swimmers doing the "shivering toe touch" in bath water. Always tell them to do a quick 500 warmup and they’ll be warm. You might recall that world class athlet died during an open water event due to over heating. My local pool has just raised the water temp to 30 ' C ( 86 ' F ) ! At this temp I am exhausted after 4 lengths. A full workout of 60 to 90 mins is impossible without suffering heat exhaustion. They have already had 1 swimmer collapse on poolside after swimming hard for 40 mins. This has happened because a ' disabled swim group ' who use the pool for 45 mins once a week keep complaining about how cold the pool is. The pool management can't figure out the pool temp software so the temp is set that high for 24/7. It used to be 27' C ( 80.6' F ) and was then raised to 28'C (82.4 ' F ) 1 year ago. I can't set workouts for my club that cause heat distress if carried out so it is a nightmare. My training is on hold until i can change this and I will have to move my masters club to another pool if not changed. Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? Emmet Hines in his book says that 82 ' F ( 27.7' C ) is ideal for training, and that anything over 84' F ( 28.4 ' C ) is too hot. Does anyone else suffer through hot water temperatures ? Can anyone recommend online research that I can use to prove the dangers of excercising in hot water ?
  • 82 degrees is on the warmer side of suggested USAS temperatures for competition pools (78-82). It is not dangerously hot. Lifetime Fitness caters to more non-swimmers than swimmers - you are probably lucky they keep the water at 82 and not higher. Many YMCA pools have elderly people constantly griping that 85 degrees is too cold for their water aerobics classes.
  • There are some regulations around temps for therapy so it depends on what the pool is generally used for and the guidelines around it. www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx
  • 82 degrees is on the warmer side of suggested USAS temperatures for competition pools (78-82). It is not dangerously hot. No, definitely not. The pool I swim in is kept at 85 degrees and I can deal with it. If you're used to swimming in a cooler pool it takes a while to adapt, but you can. Just be sure to drink plenty of water. Complaining about 82 degree water seems almost laughable to me. In pools used for a variety of aquatic activities 82 seems almost like a bare minimum to me. The thing I've found that's nice about training in a warm pool is it doesn't faze you when you've got a competition in warmer water. I've been to meets where people are constantly complaining about the water temp and it's fine for me.