Will I ever get back what I've lost?

The last time I swam was in mid-March. I train alone, usually 1500-2500, 3-4 times a week. I just turned 62. I was feeling in a good space, doing a masters personal best at just shy of 61 in my best event, even though I've started back at this at 54. I've been doing resistance band training, yoga, and a mini-elliptical trainer, plus 125 pushups every day. However, my resting heart rate, which was down to low 60s (56/57 overnight), is now 70-ish. Will I be able to get back to where I was, if/when the pools re-open, and if so, how long should it take. Side note: will pools likely be safe? I live in Brooklyn, NY
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Sorry. Let me expand on that. I’m nearly in the same boat as you. 58 years old. Quit mid March after some PRs. Except I did NOTHING but walking during the off period. It will come back if you are determined enough, and smart enough not to try to make up for lost time too quickly.
  • The short answer to your question is : Yes! You can definitely get back into swimming and regain anything you have lost. How effective you will be at getting back into it will depend on your technical foundation, and on how you plan to start your training program. If you immediately jump back into swimming with distance, intensity and interval-based training, you may quickly run into problems, especially in terms of injuries, which will set you back potentially further than you were to begin with! Instead, taking a careful, measured approach to returning to swimming will allow you to not only enjoy your comeback but quickly regain what you may have lost. Once you start swimming again, it may be a good idea to get a stroke coach to take a look at your technique, so that you can identify weaknesses in your swim and focus on working on these first. This will help you to ease back into swimming and preserve an injury-free stroke. As to your question about the safety of getting back into the pool, I am positive that if/when your pools open they will have a set of safety regulations to follow. At my pool, swimmers must reserve a lane, and you can only share a lane with family members. Entry points alternate in each lane, and swim time is limited to 45 minutes. Your temperature is checked upon arrival and you're required to wear a mask in the entryway of the pool. It feels very safe and organized, allowing us to practice the sport we love amidst some very dark times. Hope they open your pool soon so you can get back in the water!
  • Side note: will pools likely be safe? I live in Brooklyn, NY The bigger question is, why wait? There are swimmers training at Brighton Beach nearly daily. Why not head over and join them?
  • Just a though here, but 125 push-ups every day could be the reason for the higher resting heart rate. Overtraining leads to higher rested BPM, and exercises that break down tissue like push-ups require 2 days or even more to repair and recover.
  • Getting back into competitive shape will take a while but, yes you/we will. When going back into the "new normal" all of swim spire's above precautions will be in place and maybe more depending where you live. As you/we go back into the gym and pool we need to work into the workouts with a thought in mind that it will take time for our bodies to remember how to adjust.
  • Sounds like you need to implement a more intense cardio aspect to your activity to me. I took up mountain biking, but given teh rain, it isn't always an option. I'm demoing a used road bike tomorrow. And I've been doing as much open water swimming as I can. As much as I hate running, if I can't get anything else in, I'll do that. I have gone from 2 miles to 3 to 4, and did 5 this morning. My resting heart rate has gotten back down around to a little below 50, where it had been until March. But, I still have only lost about half of the weight I had gained. But yeah, you'll get back, it may just take a year or so. Just get back in when you can, enjoy the journey, don't dwell on the destination. You'll eventually get there, but no need to stress over how long it will take.
  • Former Member
    I'm 67. I've found that training in my 60's requires far more strategy and caution than it did in my 50's. And even with regular workouts, there is a clear physical decline. YMMV.
  • Former Member
    My main 2020 goal at the beginning of this year was sub6min 400m. I have had to adjust that goal now - see my sig. But by the end of December, with 6 months back at swimming after 3.5 months away from it, I am determined to better my pre-covid self. You can too!! :)
  • Former Member
    If your fitness does not get back I know your enjoyment of the fitness routine will definitely get back and as long as you stay active you will never lose that