Will I ever get back what I've lost?

The last time I swam was in mid-March. I train alone, usually 1500-2500, 3-4 times a week. I just turned 62. I was feeling in a good space, doing a masters personal best at just shy of 61 in my best event, even though I've started back at this at 54. I've been doing resistance band training, yoga, and a mini-elliptical trainer, plus 125 pushups every day. However, my resting heart rate, which was down to low 60s (56/57 overnight), is now 70-ish. Will I be able to get back to where I was, if/when the pools re-open, and if so, how long should it take. Side note: will pools likely be safe? I live in Brooklyn, NY
Parents
  • Sounds like you need to implement a more intense cardio aspect to your activity to me. I took up mountain biking, but given teh rain, it isn't always an option. I'm demoing a used road bike tomorrow. And I've been doing as much open water swimming as I can. As much as I hate running, if I can't get anything else in, I'll do that. I have gone from 2 miles to 3 to 4, and did 5 this morning. My resting heart rate has gotten back down around to a little below 50, where it had been until March. But, I still have only lost about half of the weight I had gained. But yeah, you'll get back, it may just take a year or so. Just get back in when you can, enjoy the journey, don't dwell on the destination. You'll eventually get there, but no need to stress over how long it will take.
  • Sounds like you need to implement a more intense cardio aspect to your activity to me. I took up mountain biking, but given teh rain, it isn't always an option. I'm demoing a used road bike tomorrow. And I've been doing as much open water swimming as I can. As much as I hate running, if I can't get anything else in, I'll do that. I have gone from 2 miles to 3 to 4, and did 5 this morning. My resting heart rate has gotten back down around to a little below 50, where it had been until March. But, I still have only lost about half of the weight I had gained. But yeah, you'll get back, it may just take a year or so. Just get back in when you can, enjoy the journey, don't dwell on the destination. You'll eventually get there, but no need to stress over how long it will take.
Children
No Data