"Stick a fork in me, Jerry. I'm done."

8100 meters in a 25 meter pool today. Oy! Dan
  • Actually this wasn't all at once. I did 2 x 2025m at the lunchtime session. Two minute rest, drink and snack between. Then did the same thing at the afternoon session. Had about two hours between sessions. NTL, the last half mile of that last 2025 my brain was getting a bit mooshy. Dan
  • 8100 meters in a 25 meter pool today. Oy! Dan I feel ya, ForceDJ. When I worked in the US Embassy in Moscow I trained for my first 10k. One of the workouts I did was a pool 10,000. Problem was the pool was only 15m long. Yes, very dizzy with all the flip-turns. Oy!
  • I did a 12,500 yard swim in an indoor 2-lane 25 yard gym pool back in March to train for some o/w swims. It was pretty brutal! After that, I was able to squeeze in time at the outside pool (11,200) which was much more palatable. We had storms almost every weekend when I was trying to get in some swims at Barton Springs, an outside, spring-fed, pool-type (but not really) place. I did that later for a 4.25 mile swim. Doing the actual o/w swims outside in Arizona last week was almost magical.
  • I got 10,000 last summer with my old club team, on their weekly Wednesday "10 or 10." My coach has been doing it since I was in high school (that's when he started this crazy idea). Practice starts at 6:30 am. You go until you reach 10,000 meters (its not straight swimming, it is an organized practice) or 10:00 am, whichever comes first. SPOILER ALERT: usually we would hit 10,000 meters somewhere between 9:45 and 10:00, so there was no advantage to "slow rolling" the practice. He HAS tweaked the format as he has gotten older. For instance, we used to just muscle through the whole practice and there was a lot of garbage yardage thrown in to reach 10,000 when I was a high schooler (like 8x400 pull "lungbusters" or some other such hypoxic set). When I was back last summer, both Wednesdays I was there for had sets that were never much larger than 2500 meters at a time. Also somewhere around the 5000-6000 mark, there was a ten minute "feed session" for us to refuel. I liked that. Helped break up the practice (it was also when the usual mass exodus occurred: swimmers insisting they had to "leave early for work" !!) Looking back on my comeback, it looks like my longest day was ~12,400, back in mid June, when I did a 6200M morning practice followed by a 6200Y afternoon practice.
  • Nice job, Dan! It's brutal, isn't it? Same bandaid. Same hairball. Same chipped tile. You see everything 200+ times.
  • Man... I remember when I could do that. No more!
  • I feel ya, ForceDJ. When I worked in the US Embassy in Moscow I trained for my first 10k. One of the workouts I did was a pool 10,000. Problem was the pool was only 15m long. Yes, very dizzy with all the flip-turns. Oy! Yeah...I'm training for a open water 10k we're doing on Aug 3rd. I live on Aquidneck Island (part of Rhode Island) but the open waters haven't warmed up enough for even wetsuit swimming yet. As soon as they do... Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    I feel ya, ForceDJ. When I worked in the US Embassy in Moscow I trained for my first 10k. One of the workouts I did was a pool 10,000. Problem was the pool was only 15m long. Yes, very dizzy with all the flip-turns. Oy! This is.......remarkable!!
  • What is the equal of a mouse on a treadmill in swimming terms?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    2600m is my longest session to date.