swimmers and an outbreak of shingles

Last Thursday I found out I have shingles. I'm wondering if other swimmers have experienced this and how long did your outbreak last, and how long did you have to stay out of the water?
  • Last Thursday I found out I have shingles. I'm wondering if other swimmers have experienced this and how long did your outbreak last, and how long did you have to stay out of the water? A few years back I had it - minor outbreak in a bathing suit area. My physician said I was okay to swim but just not to do skin to skin touch with young kids. Didn't have to worry about that. Hope it helps.
  • I had it last year, looked like a sash going diagonally across my torso (front and back). Once I figured out what it was (the pain started before the bumps), I went to Urgent Care and they prescribed some things that helped. I was back in the water after about 2 weeks, and it was completely gone within 4 weeks. On my first day back, I told the lifeguards that I had shingles, it is visible, but not contageous. Just didn't want anyone to freak out.
  • Have the docs. given you anything for it? Take care not to break open any areas. All others --- get your shingles shots now!!!
  • Today 9/28/2018 I got my 1st of 2 "booster vacinations for shingles that the Doc. recommended for my Doc. WOW does my arm hurt from this shot!
  • Right after my very first swim meet in 2016 I was sore and I thought it due to exertion from the swim meet. The next day it began to itch and the pain got worse. The following day I went to urgent care and I was diagnosed with shingles. I got a shot of anti-virals and a prescription and that kept the rash to a minimum, but it left scars on my legs. I went swimming 11 days later and after the scabs formed and were healing.