USMS Stroke Development Clinics

Have any forumites been to one of these? There is one in Chicago in August which is relatively close for me (and my wife's family lives in that area). I was just wondering what the level of instruction is - I'm relatively high-level (only 7 years removed from college swimming, top-10 at Nats in a few events this past May), so if it's geared toward more beginning competitive level that would seem to be not the best use of my time and taking a sign up spot from someone that may get more out of it. But if it can also be higher level then I definitely have some stroke tweaks and hitches I can't quite figure out that I could use some help on!
  • JP, I went to one in Dallas a few years ago and there were coaches of all skill sets there, including a former Olympian who lives/coaches locally. I think that any time you can get another set of eyes on you, you're going to get some tweaks, especially if you let them know something specific that you're concerned about. It can't hurt, right? Another road I've taken is through Gary Hall/The Race Club and got some good gains through there. I went to a 2 day clinic with him, but he also does video coaching or onsite. If you can get a trip to San Diego or FL, it's worth the money to get some one-one time with his team of coaches.
  • Have any forumites been to one of these? My club hosted one last summer and I was fortunate to assist Bill Brenner on deck, while he ran the clinic. Unless something has drastically changed in the curriculum, there is a drill progression for each stroke and you're critiqued within the confines of those drills. This is useful to the clinic participants, but it is a standardized approach. Your "tweaks and hitches" could be resolved based on the drills covered, but it's not exactly the one-on-one analysis that it sounds like you want for some of your strokes going full speed. The USMS High Performance Camp is probably more up your alley.
  • The USMS High Performance Camp is probably more up your alley. Yes, I was looking at that too. Would be fun. Definitely don't have the vacation days saved up for that this year though unfortunately. I just don't get a lot of real time stroke watching - coach at one pool is more geared toward coaching early teen beginners and the coaches at the other pool are more facilitators. Really I need to get back out my FauxPro some more, but it takes time to get it and find the right angles, and it still isn't real time.
  • I think you probably have a bit too much ability for that clinic.....I went to one, it was informative, but we just worked on on all the basics. I wish that USMS had something in between the High Performance Camp and these Stroke Clinics......