Masters in San Diego

Hi Gang. I will be in San Diego the last week of April. I am debating if I need to rent a car, or if I can Uber myself to swim practice. Suggestions please? I looked at "Places to swim" and have no idea what is actually close to my hotel (Hilton Bayfront). Being so close to Nationals, I would like to find a good pool/club to begin taper.
  • The closest masters program to downtown would be at the Mission Valley YMCA. Easy Uber ride. You could get more details by asking on the San Diego Swim Masters facebook page. Another option is UCSD but it’s a little farther north than MV Y. Both have morning and evening practices. I think the Y has a noon practice also.
  • There is a beautiful 50 meter pool on Coronado Island that will be about 15 minutes away - 1845 Strand Way, Coronado, CA 92118. They alternate between long course and short course setup - www.coronado.ca.us/.../Aquatics Hours.pdf. I'll second the recommendation for the team at Mission Valley YMCA - good people, nice pool.
  • I have priced it out for a few business trips to SD and concluded that one or two workouts Uber-ing or Lyft-ing would cost the same as a rental car. So I rented a car. I have not been to the Mission Valley Y because it is really expensive for day use. UCSD is north in La Jolla. They charge $10 for out-of-town drop-in swimmers and they have a large early AM group with great energy. The experience is similar to dropping in at Pitt, but outside. :) You can park in a lot right by the pool and you don't have to pay if you go to the 6 am workout. Not sure if you go to the 7:30 am. I have been there at night, too, when they had few swimmers and I think that I did have to pay to park. The other great option is to go to the municipal pool in Coronado and do a solo workout. It is long course in the early mornings; it is gorgeous; and it is practically empty. Also $10, with free parking on the street outside the pool. Both of these places have shower and locker rooms that would allow you to dress for work if necessary. Once in (I think) 2016 I went to a workout in Coronado at the Brian Bent Aquatic Center, which is a multi-pool complex at a high school. It wasn't really a Masters experience: the swimmers were me, a 60-ish guy, and three or four teenage girls. We had a fine workout together and I think I also paid $10 but I preferred repeating the UCSD and solo long course experiences. I have never been to any of the San Diego municipal pools, or to an evening workout with any group other than the sparsely attended workout at UCSD several years ago.
  • As I suggested in the other thread about swimming in Phoenix...use the pool finder app at this link -- https://www.swimmersguide.com. The list will also tell you if there is a Master team/workout group at the pool. Dan
  • If you have hotel flexibility, the Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine has a 25m pool complete with lanelines and black lines running the length of the pool. You'll need to bring a watch though, no pace clock (at least when I was there about 5 years ago) This sounds wonderful, but I am tagging along on my husband's convention, so I am firm on the hotel.
  • I swim at UCSD in the evening and it’s great. Not too crowded (1 to 2 per lane since there are 20 lanes), everyone’s friendly and the workout is well run. We have blocks to work on starts. The training pool will be SCY until around April 1st and then we usually switch to LCM. Since my lane mate and I are always tapering for Nationals in April the coach writes taper workouts for us and we do them in the other pool (sometimes referred to as the warm pool, I love it) which remains at SCY until JUne. Both pools are 50M x 25 yards. I’d Uber/lyft because you will have to pay for parking, around $4 for the evening. I’m guessing at the parking cost because I just buy an annual parking pass.
  • Thanks! I will look into these suggestions. Sounds like I might be wanting to rent a car.
  • If you have hotel flexibility, the Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine has a 25m pool complete with lanelines and black lines running the length of the pool. You'll need to bring a watch though, no pace clock (at least when I was there about 5 years ago)
  • Hilton Bayfront has a 25yd pool. When I was there a few years ago, I was able to swim laps in the morning, maybe even before the pool was officially "open".
  • Hilton Bayfront has a 25yd pool. When I was there a few years ago, I was able to swim laps in the morning, maybe even before the pool was officially "open". Oooh this is good news!