Which should we eat before & after swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
I have finally tried again to eat something very light at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours before my lap swimming since I have heard from numerous sources that if I am not eating something light with a little protein and carbs prior to my workout, that I am burning muscles instead of fat. Is it okay? Or what should I take before and after swimming?
  • and after a workout, try to eat soon, to refill the glycogen tank. The body is much more effective at doing this just after exercise, rather than an hour or so. Having a couple bananas handy would do the trick.
  • I have finally tried again to eat something very light at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours before my lap swimming since I have heard from numerous sources that if I am not eating something light with a little protein and carbs prior to my workout, that I am burning muscles instead of fat. Is it okay? Or what should I take before and after swimming? I would suspect it depends on your goals, current state, workout regimen, etc. If by "lap swimming" you mean a slower paced, more cardio fat burn type of exercise, I would think that eating a normal complex carb meal like granola or something would be ideal. If, OTOH, you do intense workouts, and are building muscle, then that's a completely different animal. In that case, yeah, you need some protein both before, and after the workout. I transitioned from fat burning focus to a more intense focus intending more to build my overall body conditioning. I still eat the same thing before, some greek yogurt and granola. But now I have a recovery drink immediately after, and I have a second breakfast (insert hobbit joke) within an hour after. That's an additional 600 calories or so, so if you are trying to lose weight, it probably is not what you need.
  • I have finally tried again to eat something very light at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours before my lap swimming since I have heard from numerous sources that if I am not eating something light with a little protein and carbs prior to my workout, that I am burning muscles instead of fat. Is it okay? Or what should I take before and after swimming? eat more closer, eat more after swimming takes eating i may be better at eating that i am at swimming! Primer Lugar
  • i may be better at eating that i am at swimming! At least when it comes to Blue Bell Ice Cream! :groovy:
  • In my opinion, some protein (in my case, almonds) and electrolyte liquid about an hour before and (my favorite) chocolate milk within a half hour later work wonders. I tend to try to work intervals at practice, not stress weight loss.