Bicep pain after swimming

I tend to get a sore bicep with a dull pain for 24-48 hours after a lengthy swim and I'm pretty sure it's due to a poor stroke. One of my action items for Feb is to get the stroke diagnosed by a coach, but should I have a doctor look at it and get some imagery on it? TIA
  • I tend to get a sore bicep with a dull pain for 24-48 hours after a lengthy swim and I'm pretty sure it's due to a poor stroke. One of my action items for Feb is to get the stroke diagnosed by a coach, but should I have a doctor look at it and get some imagery on it? TIA Stroke technique is probably a good idea. I see a lot of people who have great technique on one arm, but the other arm they go wide. or off. Do you do any dryland? The other common sore spot is the where the deltoid, tricep and pretty much every muscle connects. And again usually on one side.. not both. Dryland will help alot with it. One thing to do is go to the doctor just to get a referral for Physical Therapy.. Find a good one in your area.. and a place where you will deal with a DPT the entire time and not an assistant. And tell them you want your own personal program.. ( think of them as your personal trainer who actually has a background in medicine ).. There are physical therapists who specialize in sports medicine.. And whatever program they give you.. just do it forever. And make sure you do it at the right time intervals daily and post swim.
  • Definitely get coach to look at you, good to film your swims too. If what you are doing is causing pain it is better to pull back some, until you figure it out.
  • I tend to get a sore bicep with a dull pain for 24-48 hours after a lengthy swim and I'm pretty sure it's due to a poor stroke. One of my action items for Feb is to get the stroke diagnosed by a coach, but should I have a doctor look at it and get some imagery on it? TIA Hi Nick, I was getting treatment for bicep tendonitis last summer and it wasn't helping me at all. I visited a different PT and we discovered the pain was coming from my neck but causing me to feel it in my bicep. My PT taught me a couple neck stretches and I started doing more stroke(fly and back) in my workouts and it going pretty well.
  • I am suggesting neck also. Narrowing ( stenosis ) can create the bicep pain you are speaking of. I thought i had strained my biceps or had tendonitis . Its the neck.
  • Hi Nick, I was getting treatment for bicep tendonitis last summer and it wasn't helping me at all. I visited a different PT and we discovered the pain was coming from my neck but causing me to feel it in my bicep. My PT taught me a couple neck stretches and I started doing more stroke(fly and back) in my workouts and it going pretty well. It is amazing how finding the right PT makes the difference.. seriously.
  • So last night I did 3300 yards and focused on my left arm and swam without pain as much, so technique seems to be a big thing that I need to have fixed by someone who's an adult. I don't do any dryland exercises because I'm a) lazy and b) I honestly don't know what I'm doing - I just like to swim laps. But I'll look into dryland stuff because I should probably be doing core/general S&C stuff anyway. But the neck comments are interesting and would have never thought about that and will ask my doctor. Thank you everyone for your advice. The swimming community is much more helpful than other sports!