2017 Go the Distance

Anyone else notice the 2017 Go the Distance awards must now be purchased? I can log my swimming on multiple other formats, so why take away the incentive Nike? Disappointed.
  • I think it's been that way for a year or two now.
  • Anyone else notice the 2017 Go the Distance awards must now be purchased? I can log my swimming on multiple other formats, so why take away the incentive Nike? Disappointed. Nike was the long time sponsor of the GTD event. I heard they did not see any growth in their sales related tot he event. I believe they sponsored it at least 5 years. I don't mind buying my own cap and supplies, no one owes me anything based on my swimming and I feel grateful to have the energy and health to continue participating in this healthy and fun activity!!
  • Think the free stuff stopped a year or so back.
  • I don't mind buying my own cap and supplies, no one owes me anything based on my swimming and I feel grateful to have the energy and health to continue participating in this healthy and fun activity!! I agree, but I'll admit the incentive of getting a free suit at 500 miles certainly pushed me a little. I think it would be cool to at least bring back a commemorative cap for GTD participants. Perhaps base it on logging data throughout the year rather than a specific mileage since logging distance isn't everyone's goal. Just a thought.
  • 2016 was my first year participating so I didn't know the prizes used to be free. I was mostly disappointed that there were no 150 mile prizes - only 50 & 100. Sounds trivial, but I really wanted that 150 mile swim cap. Achieving that goal was a big accomplishment for me in my first year as swimmer. As a joke someone tried using n Sharpie marker to make a 150 mile cap, but the ink came off in the pool.
  • They seem to last longer than a year. I've been using the same mesh bag for ten years and it's still fine! I have one Nike bag that I haven't used yet. I'm glad I got one before they shuttered the free goodies program.
  • It is still a good tool to use to track you training. Now, I just need to add the other exercises that you can post in it now. I still haven't used a few mesh bags that I got from it. They seem to last longer than a year.
  • There is one person who has logged 1680+ miles so far this year (209 days). That would be averaging over 8 miles per day, every day. That is more than 13000 yards per day.