butterfly DQs

What can get you DQd when swimming butterfly besides not turning correctly? I can barely swim it but am still working on it and want to try it in an upcoming meet just so I can say I did it. TIA This is me when thinking about swimming butterfly in a meet! :afraid:
  • Based on my experience both swimming and officiating, two common reasons for DQ's are alternating kicks and underwater arm recovery. I say go for it and have fun!
  • I was DQ'd from a breaststroke race b/c I didn't touch w both hands on finishing. Fortunately, I had finished a bunch of other events, so one race that didn't count wasn't as crushing, and I learned the next time that for fly and breaststroke to make sure I did a 2-handed touch. BTW, my butterfly is not pretty at all, yet I didn't get disqualified in the fly events I swam (just glad I survived!) Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Per a USA Swimming DQ slip I offer the following: Alternating, *** or scissor kick Non simultaneous arms or underwater recover of arms One hand, not separated or non simultaneous touch Not toward *** off of wall Head did not break surface by 15 meters Re submerged
  • Alternating kick will get you DQed in both USAS and Masters meets. Butterfly arms with breaststroke kick - butterfrog - will get you quickly DQed in USAS, but counts as legal butterfly in Masters meets. Just remember that while you can do multiple dolphin kicks for every arm stroke, USMS rules only allow ONE breaststroke kick per stroke cycle.
  • Thank you, everyone. I may be okay but it's really sloppy and really make it only halfway across a 25 yard pool because I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I wish I could see what sloppy but legal butterfly looks like. It might look like mine!
  • Per a USA Swimming DQ slip I offer the following: Alternating, *** or scissor kick Alternating kick will get you DQed in both USAS and Masters meets. Butterfly arms with breaststroke kick - butterfrog - will get you quickly DQed in USAS, but counts as legal butterfly in Masters meets.
  • Julieann, get someone to video you swimming fly, and post the video here (perhaps in The Butterfly Lane thread). Other swimmers will be able to give you feedback - whether your stroke is legal, and how you can improve.
  • Alternating kick will get you DQed in both USAS and Masters meets. Butterfly arms with breaststroke kick - butterfrog - will get you quickly DQed in USAS, but counts as legal butterfly in Masters meets. What?! You mean to tell me all this time I thought I was cheating in practice and I've been legal? If pulling on the lane line in backstroke is legal too, then I'm an instant IMer. :)
  • What?! You mean to tell me all this time I thought I was cheating in practice and I've been legal? If pulling on the lane line in backstroke is legal too, then I'm an instant IMer. :) Actually, butterfly started as a variant of breaststroke, with the "frog" kick. The strokes were separated in 1953, but actually the breaststroke kick was not officially banned from butterfly until 2001, according to some sources. It was reinstated for Masters in 2003 as many older swimmers had grown up swimming it that way, including myself.
  • After 30 years of doing fly breathing on my right side like free --I was DQed at Nationals for "Non simultaneous arms " I had never heard of this, although it seems to be in the rules some where! My hands enter -pull thru -exit at the same time BUT in the air, I lag somewhat. See the last sentence of USMS Rule 101.3.2, or FINA SW 8.2. "Both arms must be brought forward simultaneously over the water and pulled back simultaneously under the water throughout the race." www.usms.org/.../part1.pdf www.fina.org/.../sw-8-butterfly