drill terminology

I'd like to know how to write my workouts. I understand "descend". I understand "on 1:00". I understand "rest 10 seconds between 50s". BUT, what if there's nothing written after the stroke? Like, "3X100 free"? You're supposed to have the amount of rest time after it, right, or the interval time, right? Check this for errors, please 150 warmup (50 *** 50 back 50 free) 6 x 50 back drill w/fins 6 x 50 *** 3 x 100 free 12 X 25 with 2 or less breaths on a minute 12 X 25 all out on 1:15 w active rest w 25 active rest between 200 easy stroke of choice cool down Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you! I just discovered hugger's swim terminology post from 2 years ago right after I posted this. But I'd still like someone to find the errors in my workout above.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Yes for everything that is repeated or done in a sequence there should either be an interval time or seconds of rest to do. Otherwise it looks fine. You can also indicate effort such as smooth, strong, fast, fast!!! You can also use extra spacing between lines and/or brackets if you want the swimmers to stop for instruction at certain points.
  • WELL ---- if you write the workout for yourself & do not want any rest -- then ok??? In the real world you will ALWAYS put some time interval or rest after each set into the yards/meters. Question - what is "active rest"? I'd have to assume that "active rest" refers to an easy recovery swim between the hard efforts to clear the lactate, get the HR back down etc. My old coach was fanatic about not hanging on the wall after a hard effort, but to keep moving to recover.
  • I haven't done too many swim interval sessions, but did 30+ years of interval running on a track. We would do a 200, 400 or 800m hard interval then slow down for the next 200, etc., but never stop, never walk. Now, the run in the rest interval could be incredibly slow but always keeping the running gait and never stopping. Also think about a spinning class, actually I prefer not to even think about it, but you crank like crazy for 3-5 minutes, then slow down, but never stop even if your legs are about to fall off. At the end, there is no cool down. It's called a warm down because you want to relax the muscles slowly while keeping the blood flowing. Also remember this: the "Training Effect" is what happens after you stop. You have trained your muscles to do something at high exertion. In the process, you've actually injured many muscle fibers, then you rest to allow them to rebuild even stronger.
  • I'd like to know how to write my workouts. I understand "descend". I understand "on 1:00". I understand "rest 10 seconds between 50s". BUT, what if there's nothing written after the stroke? Like, "3X100 free"? You're supposed to have the amount of rest time after it, right, or the interval time, right? Correct. I'm not clear on if you're trying to write your own workouts or if you're finding workouts somewhere and trying to decide how to interpret them. If it's the latter, it's possible they didn't put an interval down because it would depend on the swimmer's speed. I would suggest taking some reasonable amount of rest. :15 seconds is probably a good place to start unless the intent is to sprint, in which case you'd want more rest.
  • WELL ---- if you write the workout for yourself & do not want any rest -- then ok??? In the real world you will ALWAYS put some time interval or rest after each set into the yards/meters. Question - what is "active rest"?