Leg Cramps

Former Member
Former Member
I'm in my early 70's and have been swimming since childhood. This year, for the first time ever, my legs have been cramping during workouts, usually after about a mile. I use fins. I imagine this is related to the aging process but maybe there are other factors. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • most of the time cramps are because of dehydration of that muscle group, not the lack of the 5 electrolytes of sodium, calcium, potassium, magnesium and chloride. nor does it have to do with stretching. you are overworking that muscle group without proper hydration for it. i would like to suggest you back off on the fins and more gradually build up to that distance with them
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I'm in the same age range, started swimming in April, and use fins for about a third of my swimming. I was getting cramps in my calves and feet from the fins for awhile, but doing regular leg exercises, stretching and yoga, has helped to alleviate and prevent the cramping.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    For immediate relief of muscle cramps, try a few sips of tonic water, then hydrate
  • Don't know if I've ever mentioned it here, but this is legendary on all running forums. Pickle Juice. Don't laugh, I've known of this since the mid-60s. Ref.: runnersconnect.net/.../ You beat me to it,I was going to say pickle juice.
  • I've noticed that if I do any sort of kicking drills later in my workout that I also tend to get leg cramps -- hamstring, calf, foot. So IF I am going to do any kicking drills I've begun doing them earlier in my workout and I don't cramp. Dan
  • Don't know if I've ever mentioned it here, but this is legendary on all running forums. Pickle Juice. Don't laugh, I've known of this since the mid-60s. Ref.: runnersconnect.net/.../
  • you should also easily find that pickle juice is NOT an answer. just google it. you have an imbalance that the pickle juice merely tricks into working. you could just as well poke your eye or bite your cheek. currently there are plenty of studies out that show absolutely NO reason how to cause a cramp to go away. The researchers propose that the acidic pickle juice triggers a reflex when it hits a nerve center on the back of the throat. This reflex sends a signal to the nervous system to shut down the overactive neurons causing the cramp. its not the pickle juice that does anything...its your reaction to it in a non-related way
  • I've often used pickle juice to alleviate body cramps. I get them in my quads, groin, hamstrings, hip flexors...I'm a mess. Pickle juice works well and fast but I've found that if I take magnesium & calcium I'm somewhat cramp free...depending on my activity that day.
  • so at the 300 of a 1650, stop and take a swig? proper hydration in the weeks/days/hours leading up along with proper training prevents them. jumping in and doing a massive leg workout will get you cramps every time...whether in swimming or running or biking...it doesnt matter what muscle group it is.
  • so at the 300 of a 1650, stop and take a swig? proper hydration in the weeks/days/hours leading up along with proper training prevents them. jumping in and doing a massive leg workout will get you cramps every time...whether in swimming or running or biking...it doesnt matter what muscle group it is. My wife did stop and take a swig when she got leg cramps in the 10K postal swim. It worked. She finished 3rd in the nation.