Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Why not make it simple. A broken record can't be made official without a test. If an athlete declines, then they forfeit their result. This saves needless worry and money regarding the occasional record breakers who may or may not be cheating. There's really no need for USMS to become the steroid police. Everyone can draw their own conclusions by whether or not the athlete wants to have their swim validated.
  • If you happen to break a world record, just pee in the pool and tell everyone to have a nice day. Good idea! Both cost effective and easy - All NWR stand if sample of pool water taken at conclusion of competition is clean.
  • Former Member
    Test Result: * positive * for an about to be banned constituent Agreed. :) Lessons learned from thread... Don't look too buff. You'll be accused of doping. If you happen to break a world record, just pee in the pool and tell everyone to have a nice day.
  • Former Member
    I have been unable to find a position statement from USMS regarding the use of performance enhancing drugs. Apparently this was discussed at the 2010 convention in Dallas. An organization that promotes adult health and fitness should at the very least draft a position statement on this issue.
  • Former Member
    This article from masters track talks about how they address the issue, in the form of suspension. At the end of the day I like what Chris said. It's really sad that some people feel the need to possibly gain an edge, and unfortunately they may be doing it at the risk of their their own health.
  • People love paperwork! Do you think this will attract more people to compete at meets? Yes! Because that one meet a year that participate in (usually Nationals) will be so much more appealing.:nono: I can't wait to go explain to my doctor why a 44 year old woman needs a medical exemption to play at sports. Oh, and yes, I want to spend more money too. The ironic thing is, the drug that would fail me is an androgen blocker (used as a masking agent). Without it, I would probably be stronger and faster, but with it, my everyday life is more normal. Tell you what. You can keep my medal, just let me swim. :rant3:
  • Yes! Because that one meet a year that participate in (usually Nationals) will be so much more appealing.:nono: I can't wait to go explain to my doctor why a 44 year old woman needs a medical exemption to play at sports. Oh, and yes, I want to spend more money too. The ironic thing is, the drug that would fail me is an androgen blocker (used as a masking agent). Without it, I would probably be stronger and faster, but with it, my everyday life is more normal. Tell you what. You can keep my medal, just let me swim. :rant3: I suspect, but don't know for sure of course, that people with a reaction similar to this one significantly outnumber those who would welcome random or non-random drug testing. I like competing against people in meets, but I could care less whether my competition smokes, drinks to excess, drives too fast, sings off key in the shower, or uses legal or illegal supplements that are not medically necessary. I suppose I feel some measure of pity for those who take masters swimming so seriously they feel the need for PEDs. I suppose I would feel some measure annoyance at those who inconvenience me because they take masters swimming so seriously that they feel the need to test their competitors for PEDs. Just my my own personal $0.02. While still a VP I'll do whatever the members feel benefits the organization best.
  • I like the idea of testing record breaking swimmers. Cost and the number of swimmers involved would be greatly reduced. PS ---I guess I would never be tested with this rule since I'm old and fat and will never break a record , maybe gas but, never a record!
  • If someone such as gull believes this issue is serious enough to pursue then, by all means, pursue it, but I do have a feeling most USMS members either couldn't care less or would be less likely to compete if they needed TUEs and/or knew they could be subjected to drug tests.
  • Former Member
    I suppose I would feel some measure annoyance at those who inconvenience me because they take masters swimming so seriously that they feel the need to test their competitors for PEDs. We must wear a FINA approved suit. The meet must be sanctioned by USMS. And of course the pool must be properly measured or our swims won't count. But doping? No problem. USMS doesn't even have a position statement.