Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
  • I'm with Ande and others: random testing of top finishers at Nationals. Yes there would be logistical issues, and yes some would evade getting caught, but at least there would be a deterrent. I know a lot of our members couldn't care less, but a good number of us do, and it's important for the integrity of our sport. I'm on a forum with some older swimmers and there has been a debate about testosterone supplementation. There are members who do so for very valid lifestyle reasons, and at least one admitted septuagenarian supplementer that has set several world records. My opinion is supplement if you want, compete if you want, but don't have your times count for WR. Hi Doug, Thanks for your comments.
  • Being able to train consistently back to back however, without the need for lengthy recovery, is what's going to make someone stronger and faster. Putting aside the fact that I cannot currently swim more than about 300 yards without my shoulder preventing me from going further... I can't speak for others, but recovery time between bouts of intense training is not the limiting factor for me in masters swimming. It is finding the time to train. Have they found a pill for that? Because if so, I'm all ears.
  • If someone such as gull believes this issue is serious enough to pursue then, by all means, pursue it, but I do have a feeling most USMS members either couldn't care less or would be less likely to compete if they needed TUEs and/or knew they could be subjected to drug tests. Absolutely. If one of my competitors wants to use PED's to win a $3.00 medal at USMS Nationals, so be it; even if it bumps me out. It's Masters, not the friggin' Olympics. Nobody outside our small circle cares. If it means that much to you, then you can have it. Testing and TUE's would drive a lot people out....not because they want to cheat, but because it's too much of a hassle just to participate in a pretty much meaningless competition.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    No, but the ability to train harder and recover faster will. Exactly. Muscles mass could be a detriment, maybe with the exception of sprint races. Big muscles do not always mean faster, ...only when excellent technique is in place. Being able to train consistently back to back however, without the need for lengthy recovery, is what's going to make someone stronger and faster.
  • Former Member
    Being able to train consistently back to back without the need for lengthy recovery is what's going to make someone stronger and faster. It is postulated that anabolic steroids not only increase strength but also allow you to recover more quickly. That's the point.
  • Former Member
    Testing and TUE's would drive a lot people out....not because they want to cheat, but because it's too much of a hassle just to participate in a pretty much meaningless competition. If it is meaningless, then why bother doing it at all?
  • Former Member
    So extraordinary muscle mass may not necessarily make a difference. No, but the ability to train harder and recover faster will.
  • Men can drape their top ten medals between their new found cleavage, and women can admire them while shaving their beards. No medals, but there is this: www.usms.org/.../tt_patches That's right, achieving a TT time affords you the chance to buy your own TT patch. It's the little things that get you out of bed (or motivate a doper to take PEDs)! But setting a USMS record is a HUGE step up: you get a certificate mailed to you. And you don't even need to pay for it. And the sponsorship offers just roll right in, too.
  • If it is meaningless, then why bother doing it at all? Because it's fun. For an aging constituency, having to manage every prescription, OTC medication, and supplement against a banned substance list (and get TUE's for those that are on the list but medically necessary) takes a lot of the fun out of it. Getting a needle stuck in your arm to give a blood sample would take the rest out.
  • Because it's fun. Many of you seem to take masters swimming pretty seriously. These two statements are not contradictory. This thread reminds me a little of the saying about academics: the arguments are heated because the stakes are so low.