Should a Masters Team Have Coaching?

Hello, I've been swimming on my own about a year. I recently joined masters swimming because it sounded like a great way to improve skills, meet others who enjoy swimming and have fun! But I have a question as far as the club I joined. I've been to 3 practices so far. You just pick a workout sheet from a stack and work on your own. There is no coach and no plans to get one. It isn't at all what I expected. The coach listed on the USMS website isn't at the club. Is this normal? I'm driving over 90 minutes to get to practice and could work out on my own closer for free. Any advice? Should I look for a new program? Thanks, Stef
  • Contact Donna Hooe, rdhooe1@juno.com. She is the Georgia Masters coaches chair and is based out of Savannah. She can give you the lay of the land for that area so you can better understand your options.
  • i would not pay to do that Stef.
  • Thanks so much! I've been looking at the bigger team in Savannah. It means a further drive, but I think it will be worth it. I paid $45 monthly fee and $25 registration for the month so I'll stick it out then switch programs. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have too high of an expectation as a newbie.
  • Now I feel like I stole something. Our town paid a swim coach to do two 10 week sessions last year at the high school pool. The fee was $35 or $10 for senior citizens. I paid $1 a week for masters coaching.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I have swam with 3 masters teams, 1 in MD and 2 in VA, and all of them had coaches. If you practice without a coach, the way that I see it is that sure, you will get better, but better using bad form and wont reach your potential.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I have swam with a coach that gave out work outs then worked only with the star IM swimmer. She never once talked to anyone in my lane. Everyone paid $40.00 per month. I stopped going. Where I swim now there is a team that meets at 6:30 in the morning. Way too early. Coaches are very important if they do their job.
  • The coach only talked to one swimmer?? That is just wrong! I would have talked to the "coach" and ask why am i/we paying for a coach that does not talk to us??