Do you "hear" rhythm in your mind when swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
When you swim freestyle or backstroke, do you "play" an imaginary rhythmic sound in your mind to help with the strokes? If so what does it sound like? :rolleyes:
  • Mostly disco and Rolling Stones
  • Once at Nationals in the 200 BR my mind started playing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Why??? I don't have any idea,but the rhythm fit my pace.
  • Not a sound, per se, but the first couple 25s of free in a workout have a sublime rhythm. I feel like I could swim forever. Then it disappears, and I spend the rest of the workout searching for it. :(
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Sort of. I habitually stroke count on *** stroke, so I guess the sound (in my head) of counting provides a rhythm
  • Once at Nationals in the 200 BR my mind started playing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Why??? I don't have any idea,but the rhythm fit my pace. I'll never forget my 200 BR at Auburn Nationals in 2011. It was one of the first times I had ever swum in a long course pool, and I kept hearing Bart Simpson's voice asking, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet??" It played over and over in my mind during the entire last 50 meters! (Bruce had been given a Bart Simpson beer bottle opener as a gag gift, and every time you open a bottle, it plays that clip.) For some reason, I don't think of it when I swim 200 fly in a long course pool, but I always do on breaststroke pull when I race that last 50! :rolleyes:
  • Former Member
    I also count strokes... But I'm more interested in whether/how others might imagine a rhythm that accentuates at some point of the stroke cycle. For a long time I somehow used the water sound at hand entry (mainly backstroke) to help with stroke rhythm, but that made me slap the water and my strokes were not smooth.
  • Sort of. I habitually stroke count on *** stroke, so I guess the sound (in my head) of counting provides a rhythm I do, too, on short course, but on long course, the count inevitably gets replaced by, "Are we there yet? ARE WE THERE YET?!!!" :bouncing:
  • Former Member
    I do also use verbal cues in a rhythmic way - for example when I'm getting tired on *** I think "long" on each stroke.
  • Before a distance swim or open water event, I'll typically do a good set of repeat 100s. I stroke count and develop my cadence and then try to replicate it during the distance/open water event. Shhh, it's a secret.