Do you "hear" rhythm in your mind when swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
When you swim freestyle or backstroke, do you "play" an imaginary rhythmic sound in your mind to help with the strokes? If so what does it sound like? :rolleyes:
Parents
  • Once at Nationals in the 200 BR my mind started playing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Why??? I don't have any idea,but the rhythm fit my pace. I'll never forget my 200 BR at Auburn Nationals in 2011. It was one of the first times I had ever swum in a long course pool, and I kept hearing Bart Simpson's voice asking, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet??" It played over and over in my mind during the entire last 50 meters! (Bruce had been given a Bart Simpson beer bottle opener as a gag gift, and every time you open a bottle, it plays that clip.) For some reason, I don't think of it when I swim 200 fly in a long course pool, but I always do on breaststroke pull when I race that last 50! :rolleyes:
  • Once at Nationals in the 200 BR my mind started playing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Why??? I don't have any idea,but the rhythm fit my pace. I'll never forget my 200 BR at Auburn Nationals in 2011. It was one of the first times I had ever swum in a long course pool, and I kept hearing Bart Simpson's voice asking, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet??" It played over and over in my mind during the entire last 50 meters! (Bruce had been given a Bart Simpson beer bottle opener as a gag gift, and every time you open a bottle, it plays that clip.) For some reason, I don't think of it when I swim 200 fly in a long course pool, but I always do on breaststroke pull when I race that last 50! :rolleyes:
Children
No Data