US Master Records faster than FINA World Records

Former Member
Former Member
I was looking at the US LCM records for 35-39 Mens vs the Fina World Records and noticed. That the US records were faster than the World Records for 200 back, 200 IM, and 400 IM all set by Ron Karnaugh. How is this possible?
  • I was looking at the US LCM records for 35-39 Mens vs the Fina World Records and noticed. That the US records were faster than the World Records for 200 back, 200 IM, and 400 IM all set by Ron Karnaugh. How is this possible? One possibility: FINA does not recognize some meets that USMS does, specifically USA-S meets. Another possibility: at one point (no longer) FINA had deadlines for world record application submissions while USMS did not. So the paperwork might have been filled out after the FINA deadline and still been acceptable to USMS.
  • Very interesting. Do we wait and see if they are updated or will somebody check into how compare "our" meets to FINA?
  • The analogous examples I can think of from Australia are from Masters Swimming Australia registered swimmers racing in Swimming Australia meets. Eg Linley Frame's MSA national records for 50 and 100m breaststroke events in the 40-44 AG are all faster than the FINA world records. Her best times in AG were at Open Nationals in April 2013 - LC 32.32 and 1:11.31. She aged up this year. Her 100m time at this year's Open Nats/Olympic Trials was under the 45-49 WR, and her time at Masters Nats two weeks later wasn't - the Open Nats time isn't showing in the MSA database tho, and hasn't been recognized as a Masters NR.
  • Very interesting. Do we wait and see if they are updated or will somebody check into how compare "our" meets to FINA? Since the records were set in 2001 and 2002 I'm fairly confident they won't be updated. :)
  • I was looking at the US LCM records for 35-39 Mens vs the Fina World Records and noticed. That the US records were faster than the World Records for 200 back, 200 IM, and 400 IM all set by Ron Karnaugh. How is this possible?The easy solution for these records is for Aquageek to convince Mr. Lochte to come to a USMS LCM meet in a few years ...
  • If the masters meet is recognized and not sanctioned, only the USMS record will count. We learned that the hard way in my LMSC.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I was looking at the US LCM records for 35-39 Mens vs the Fina World Records and noticed. That the US records were faster than the World Records for 200 back, 200 IM, and 400 IM all set by Ron Karnaugh. How is this possible? Ron Karnaugh has obviously paid off the record keeper, and will indefinetly hold these number spots until Ryan Lochte raises an official inquiry. Assuming he ever joins USMS that is.
  • In some 400 & 800-meter relays, the USMS Record is faster than the World Record because FINA did not recognize world records in these events until several years ago, long after USMS recognized records in these events.