US Master Records faster than FINA World Records

Former Member
Former Member
I was looking at the US LCM records for 35-39 Mens vs the Fina World Records and noticed. That the US records were faster than the World Records for 200 back, 200 IM, and 400 IM all set by Ron Karnaugh. How is this possible?
Parents
  • The analogous examples I can think of from Australia are from Masters Swimming Australia registered swimmers racing in Swimming Australia meets. Eg Linley Frame's MSA national records for 50 and 100m breaststroke events in the 40-44 AG are all faster than the FINA world records. Her best times in AG were at Open Nationals in April 2013 - LC 32.32 and 1:11.31. She aged up this year. Her 100m time at this year's Open Nats/Olympic Trials was under the 45-49 WR, and her time at Masters Nats two weeks later wasn't - the Open Nats time isn't showing in the MSA database tho, and hasn't been recognized as a Masters NR.
  • The analogous examples I can think of from Australia are from Masters Swimming Australia registered swimmers racing in Swimming Australia meets. Eg Linley Frame's MSA national records for 50 and 100m breaststroke events in the 40-44 AG are all faster than the FINA world records. Her best times in AG were at Open Nationals in April 2013 - LC 32.32 and 1:11.31. She aged up this year. Her 100m time at this year's Open Nats/Olympic Trials was under the 45-49 WR, and her time at Masters Nats two weeks later wasn't - the Open Nats time isn't showing in the MSA database tho, and hasn't been recognized as a Masters NR.
Children
No Data