Coming Up With Swimming Sets

Former Member
Former Member
I've been helping out with coaching a local team this summer and have recently exhausted most of my ideas for coming up with sets. I swim by myself in addition to this, and usually follow a similar structure to what I have planned out for coaching just for simplicity's sake. As a coach, how do you come up with sets? Or, as a swimmer, how do you make sets for yourself? Also, as a side question are there any big databases for swim sets or swim set generators?
  • If you are a USMS member, the workouts section of the forums is very good. If you aren't, it is probably worth the cost of membership. Many members post their workout to their blogs, which is another good source of inspiration. Here is a link to 50 good simple workouts: www.ruthkazez.com/50swimworkouts.html and the even simpler "Lunchtime swim workouts" www.ruthkazez.com/LunchSwims.html I know it sounds corny, but I find that coming up with a workout is a lot simpler if I ask myself the question, "What do I want to accomplish in the is workout?"
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I swim on my own but I have always thought a good workout would be 50s as fast as possible with a partner. You rest while they swim and vice versa. I don't know how many sets would be expected but it's an idea. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Freestylin67 - An important part of developing practice sets is the age and ability level of the swimmers. The younger the swimmer, the greater the focus should be on technique and feedback vs conditioning. This usually leads to more 25s and 50s and 100 IMs with at least 20-40 seconds rest so you can tell them what they should be doing and then providing feedback after each repeat. Same applies to the swimmers who are less skilled. With older, more accomplished swimmers, you will want to include sets that train heart rate, lactate acid tolerance, etc.. These kinds of sets can vary all over the place depending on what you are trying to accomplish. I rarely do sets with only 10 seconds rest - the kids need feedback and 10 seconds is not enough time. If you are not providing frequent, specific feedback to the kids, you are not coaching, you are baby-sitting. A basic practice template is something like this: 400-800 yards of warm-up/get-focused, 600-1000 yards of technique (stroke of the day), 20-40 minutes of conditioning in every practice, 15-30 minutes of race pace 25s/50s/100s, warm-down. With some variation this is 1.5 hours of swimming. This is generic and a place to start. Good Luck. Paul
  • If you are not providing frequent, specific feedback to the kids, you are not coaching, you are baby-sitting. You are my hero for today. A basic practice template is something like this: 400-800 yards of warm-up/get-focused, 600-1000 yards of technique (stroke of the day), 20-40 minutes of conditioning in every practice, 15-30 minutes of race pace 25s/50s/100s, warm-down. With some variation this is 1.5 hours of swimming. This is generic and a place to start. If only all coaches could be so sensible. I bet your team rocks!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    So I need to give feedback to my coach if this is what the outcome sounds like in order for them to know how effective is their coaching.